modules?

hi all,
i have a 4 part assignment that is to write
[1:lexical analyzer][2:parser][3:symbol table][4:simulator]
these have to be built using modules? my lex will read in a .txt file that contains int i;
int n = 4 ;
float sum ;

for ( i = 0 ; i < n ; i = i + 1 )
{
sum = sum + 1 ;
} ;

i can read this from a .txt file to the screen; but i am pretty sure that inorder to move to the next step, i need to tokenize each character. that is the first problem. i can use whitespace as my delimeter. once the file is tokenized i need to pass it as a module to a state machine for parsing.

i am stuck. if i could get help with the creation of the tokens i would be off to a better start.

thanks

Comments

• : hi all,
    : i have a 4 part assignment that is to write
    : [1:lexical analyzer][2:parser][3:symbol table][4:simulator]
    : these have to be built using modules? my lex will read in a .txt file that contains int i;
    : int n = 4 ;
    : float sum ;
    :
    : for ( i = 0 ; i < n ; i = i + 1 )
    : {
    : sum = sum + 1 ;
    : } ;
    :
    : i can read this from a .txt file to the screen; but i am pretty sure that inorder to move to the next step, i need to tokenize each character. that is the first problem. i can use whitespace as my delimeter. once the file is tokenized i need to pass it as a module to a state machine for parsing.
    :
    : i am stuck. if i could get help with the creation of the tokens i would be off to a better start.
    :
    : thanks
    :
    I've written a function called StringSplit(), which can take a part from a larger string. See the http://www.codepedia.com/1/StringSplit for the source. This will come helpful in tokenizing the text.
  • : : hi all,
    : : i have a 4 part assignment that is to write
    : : [1:lexical analyzer][2:parser][3:symbol table][4:simulator]
    : : these have to be built using modules? my lex will read in a .txt file that contains int i;
    : : int n = 4 ;
    : : float sum ;
    : :
    : : for ( i = 0 ; i < n ; i = i + 1 )
    : : {
    : : sum = sum + 1 ;
    : : } ;
    : : i can read this from a .txt file to the screen; but i am pretty sure that inorder to move to the next step, i need to tokenize each character. that is the first problem. i can use whitespace as my delimeter. once the file is tokenized i need to pass it as a module to a state machine for parsing.
    : : i am stuck. if i could get help with the creation of the tokens i would be off to a better start.
    : : thanks
    : I've written a function called StringSplit(), which can take a part from a larger string. See the http://www.codepedia.com/1/StringSplit for the source. This will come helpful in tokenizing the text.
    :
    hi, and thank you. it looks like i can set the delimiter to the whitespace, and break the string up nicely.