Counting characters from a file in java

[b][red]This message was edited by lockdown77 at 2007-1-30 9:19:4[/red][/b][hr]
I need help counting characters from a file. I know how to find the length of each word but i need to go through chaacter by character because i need to count spaces also. also need to count the number of lines. Any thoughts?

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by Vilanye at 2007-1-30 9:34:47[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by lockdown77 at 2007-1-30 9:19:4[/red][/b][hr]
    : I need help counting characters from a file. I know how to find the length of each word but i need to go through chaacter by character because i need to count spaces also. also need to count the number of lines. Any thoughts?
    :
    :

A space is a character. If you read an entire line into a String and get the length, it will include spaces and other non-printing characters.

• I'm not exactly sure how to read an entire line, and would you know how to count how many lines there are in a file.
  • : I'm not exactly sure how to read an entire line, and would you know how to count how many lines there are in a file.
    :
    With the BufferedReader class you can use the readLine() method to read an entire line. To count the number lines, use a while-loop to read the file, while maintaining an index of the line number. At the end of the loop, that index will be the number of lines.