COM in Visual C++

I'm interested in learning about COM. It is my understanding that any Visual C++ dll created is automatically a COM file. Is this correct? I'm using Visual Studios 2005.

Comments

• >> It is my understanding that any Visual C++ dll created is automatically a COM file.

No, that is not correct. There are lots of DLLs that do not have COM support. VC++ 2005 Express edition does not support COM objects. You need the Standard or better, which costs lots of $$$.
  • : >> It is my understanding that any Visual C++ dll created is automatically a COM file.
    :
    : No, that is not correct. There are lots of DLLs that do not have COM support. VC++ 2005 Express edition does not support COM objects. You need the Standard or better, which costs lots of $$$.
    :

Yes, I've got the Standard edition. Now, what needs to be included in the dll so that it will be a COM file?
  • : : >> It is my understanding that any Visual C++ dll created is automatically a COM file.
    : :
    : : No, that is not correct. There are lots of DLLs that do not have COM support. VC++ 2005 Express edition does not support COM objects. You need the Standard or better, which costs lots of $$$.
    : :
    :
    : Yes, I've got the Standard edition. Now, what needs to be included in the dll so that it will be a COM file?
    :

The easiest way is to create a whole new project -- select COM ATL type project. Converting an existing DLL is pretty complex and probably not work the effort (I haven't really done that).