checking if input contain numbers or if input contain characters)

i need to know if ther is a way to know if an input contains a number,
or in the contrary. i tried to use isalphanum() with javascript in asp(as in Java) but either it didn't work or it has a different way. the thing is i don't want to use isNaN(x),
10x all.........

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by aaronjones3593 at 2005-11-11 10:27:46[/red][/b][hr]
    : i need to know if ther is a way to know if an input contains a number,
    : or in the contrary. i tried to use isalphanum() with javascript in asp(as in Java) but either it didn't work or it has a different way. the thing is i don't want to use isNaN(x),
    : 10x all.........
    :
    [code]

var to_check = "ur thing ere, number or word";
    if (isNaN(to_check))
    {
    // Word;
    }
    else
    {
    // Number;
    }

[/code]

hehe easy really but js was the first scripting language i learnt 5 years ago.. so :P

• : [b][red]This message was edited by aaronjones3593 at 2005-11-11 10:27:46[/red][/b][hr]
    : : i need to know if ther is a way to know if an input contains a number,
    : : or in the contrary. i tried to use isalphanum() with javascript in asp(as in Java) but either it didn't work or it has a different way. the thing is i don't want to use isNaN(x),
    : : 10x all.........
    : :
    : [code]
    :
    : var to_check = "ur thing ere, number or word";
    : if (isNaN(to_check))
    : {
    : // Word;
    : }
    : else
    : {
    : // Number;
    : }
    :
    : [/code]
    :
    : hehe easy really but js was the first scripting language i learnt 5 years ago.. so :P
    :
    :
    :
    i began enjoying thanking you, so 10x,although i asked about isalphanum(),but if this works,ill forget about it,so 10x :):)

• [b][red]This message was edited by aaronjones3593 at 2005-11-12 10:32:57[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : i need to know if ther is a way to know if an input contains a number,
    : : : or in the contrary. i tried to use isalphanum() with javascript in asp(as in Java) but either it didn't work or it has a different way. the thing is i don't want to use isNaN(x),
    : : : 10x all.........
    : : :
    : : [code]
    : : var to_check = "ur thing ere, number or word";
    : : if (isNaN(to_check))
    : : {
    : : // Word;
    : : }
    : : else
    : : {
    : : // Number;
    : : }
    : : [/code]
    : : hehe easy really but js was the first scripting language i learnt 5 years ago.. so :P
    : i began enjoying thanking you, so 10x,although i asked about isalphanum(),but if this works,ill forget about it,so 10x :):)
    :
    :

may be my ignorance of the language but i dnt think there is a function by that name, u wuld have to create it urself
  • : [b][red]This message was edited by aaronjones3593 at 2005-11-12 10:32:57[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : i need to know if ther is a way to know if an input contains a number,
    : : : : or in the contrary. i tried to use isalphanum() with javascript in asp(as in Java) but either it didn't work or it has a different way. the thing is i don't want to use isNaN(x),
    : : : : 10x all.........
    : : : :
    : : : [code]
    : : : var to_check = "ur thing ere, number or word";
    : : : if (isNaN(to_check))
    : : : {
    : : : // Word;
    : : : }
    : : : else
    : : : {
    : : : // Number;
    : : : }
    : : : [/code]
    : : : hehe easy really but js was the first scripting language i learnt 5 years ago.. so :P
    : : i began enjoying thanking you, so 10x,although i asked about isalphanum(),but if this works,ill forget about it,so 10x :):)
    :
    : may be my ignorance of the language but i dnt think there is a function by that name, u wuld have to create it urself
    :
    10x anyway your method is doing just fine
  • if you use vbscript instead, you can use the isnumeric function, just like in VB, greetings..

: : [b][red]This message was edited by aaronjones3593 at 2005-11-12 10:32:57[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : i need to know if ther is a way to know if an input contains a number,
    : : : : : or in the contrary. i tried to use isalphanum() with javascript in asp(as in Java) but either it didn't work or it has a different way. the thing is i don't want to use isNaN(x),
    : : : : : 10x all.........
    : : : : :
    : : : : [code]
    : : : : var to_check = "ur thing ere, number or word";
    : : : : if (isNaN(to_check))
    : : : : {
    : : : : // Word;
    : : : : }
    : : : : else
    : : : : {
    : : : : // Number;
    : : : : }
    : : : : [/code]
    : : : : hehe easy really but js was the first scripting language i learnt 5 years ago.. so :P
    : : : i began enjoying thanking you, so 10x,although i asked about isalphanum(),but if this works,ill forget about it,so 10x :):)
    : : may be my ignorance of the language but i dnt think there is a function by that name, u wuld have to create it urself
    : 10x anyway your method is doing just fine
    :

• : if you use vbscript instead, you can use the isnumeric function, just like in VB, greetings..
    10x weirdmix but i started with js and cannot change now,10x anyway.