Database support: Which format/engine?

Hi!

Last time I had database needs for a VB6 app was 5 years ago, it was using DAO with an Access (MDB) database.

We're now in 2005 (as you all know :P), and I'm still coding in VB6 but I was wondering what engine/driver/format should I be using as of today?

The database for the application I'm writing now will have to support alot of records, so in that sense it might be quite huge.

Could be great also if it could store some small pictures too, but if you all don't recommend pictures in a database, fine I'll deal with them out of the database then.

Thanks for your advices!

Comments

• :
    : Hi!
    :
    : Last time I had database needs for a VB6 app was 5 years ago, it was using DAO with an Access (MDB) database.
    :
    : We're now in 2005 (as you all know :P), and I'm still coding in VB6 but I was wondering what engine/driver/format should I be using as of today?
    :
    : The database for the application I'm writing now will have to support alot of records, so in that sense it might be quite huge.
    :
    : Could be great also if it could store some small pictures too, but if you all don't recommend pictures in a database, fine I'll deal with them out of the database then.
    :
    : Thanks for your advices!
    :
    :
    :

maybe you should use now MSSQL server 2000 or better. but if the money is a problem, maybe you should try with MySql instead, it's not as big as MSSQL but I think you find it useful. It's an open source database and you can donwload it for free at http://www.mysql.com
    hope this is what you need..
  • [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2005-10-24 8:29:15[/red][/b][hr]
    :
    : Hi!
    :
    : Last time I had database needs for a VB6 app was 5 years ago, it was using DAO with an Access (MDB) database.
    :
    : We're now in 2005 (as you all know :P), and I'm still coding in VB6 but I was wondering what engine/driver/format should I be using as of today?
    :
    : The database for the application I'm writing now will have to support alot of records, so in that sense it might be quite huge.
    :
    : Could be great also if it could store some small pictures too, but if you all don't recommend pictures in a database, fine I'll deal with them out of the database then.
    :
    : Thanks for your advices!
    :
    :
    :
    Even 5 years ago it was not very efficient to use DAO. You should use ADODB object even with Access database. There is a bunch of code examples on the Inet. I found that site very usefull http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/ado/quickref/ado_intro.html
    And of course try to rid off Access DB!

• Thanks both of you!

weirdmix's solution seems OK, but I'd try not to use a server (MSSQL or MySQL) in this case.

So I think I'll lookup lionb's link, thanks.