serial port communication

i have been assigned a project which has to be something like a chatting program. unfortunately i have no idea what coding i have to use and how i have to do it. the only thing i have is that i have to use winsock (which i don't know how to use). Anyone who can give a hand or help a little, would be greatly appreciated.

Contact me on yoyo_ryu@hotmail.com

Comments

• : i have been assigned a project which has to be something like a chatting program. unfortunately i have no idea what coding i have to use and how i have to do it. the only thing i have is that i have to use winsock (which i don't know how to use). Anyone who can give a hand or help a little, would be greatly appreciated.
    :
    : Contact me on yoyo_ryu@hotmail.com
    :
    As far as I know, does the winsock not apply to the serial port, but to the internet ports. The WinSock itself is a collection of Windows API functions. There are two distict groups: blocking and non-blocking. You should look up a few of the following functions in the help files or the MSDN: socket(), gethostbyaddr(), getservbyname(), connect(), send(), listen(), and closesocket(). These should explain the various aspects of socket programming.
  • : : i have been assigned a project which has to be something like a chatting program. unfortunately i have no idea what coding i have to use and how i have to do it. the only thing i have is that i have to use winsock (which i don't know how to use). Anyone who can give a hand or help a little, would be greatly appreciated.
    : :
    : : Contact me on yoyo_ryu@hotmail.com
    : As far as I know, does the winsock not apply to the serial port, but to the internet ports. The WinSock itself is a collection of Windows API functions. There are two distict groups: blocking and non-blocking. You should look up a few of the following functions in the help files or the MSDN: socket(), gethostbyaddr(), getservbyname(), connect(), send(), listen(), and closesocket(). These should explain the various aspects of socket programming.
    :

thanks for your help.

do you have any sample code or idea how i can make my chatting program?
  • : : : i have been assigned a project which has to be something like a chatting program. unfortunately i have no idea what coding i have to use and how i have to do it. the only thing i have is that i have to use winsock (which i don't know how to use). Anyone who can give a hand or help a little, would be greatly appreciated.
    : : :
    : : : Contact me on yoyo_ryu@hotmail.com
    : : :
    : : As far as I know, does the winsock not apply to the serial port, but to the internet ports. The WinSock itself is a collection of Windows API functions. There are two distict groups: blocking and non-blocking. You should look up a few of the following functions in the help files or the MSDN: socket(), gethostbyaddr(), getservbyname(), connect(), send(), listen(), and closesocket(). These should explain the various aspects of socket programming.
    :
    : thanks for your help.
    :
    : do you have any sample code or idea how i can make my chatting program?
    :
    I have a small starting point, but it is written for Delphi using the Indy components. This makes it very difficult to port to "normal" Pascal.