How to write a sound recording program in C langage?

Hi, everyone. I am wondering how to write a C program for recording 5-second audio via the PC microphone. I only know it's quite easy to achieve this in the language of MatLab(by just using its wavrecord and wavwrite commands), however I have no idea how to do it in C programming language as I am new to C. Do I actually need to initialize the sound device? If so, how? I am with the Soundblaster Audigy and Windows XP. Any comments will be highly appreciated.

Yee

Comments

• : Hi, everyone. I am wondering how to write a C program for recording 5-second audio via the PC microphone. I only know it's quite easy to achieve this in the language of MatLab(by just using its wavrecord and wavwrite commands), however I have no idea how to do it in C programming language as I am new to C. Do I actually need to initialize the sound device? If so, how? I am with the Soundblaster Audigy and Windows XP. Any comments will be highly appreciated.
    :
    Look up the waveIn API calls in the MSDN. There will probably be a sample program for you to look at too, written in C. The waveIn APIs aren't too bad to work with, and C is probably the easiest langauge to work with them in (it'd probably be a PITA in VB...).

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• : Hi, everyone. I am wondering how to write a C program for recording 5-second audio via the PC microphone. I only know it's quite easy to achieve this in the language of MatLab(by just using its wavrecord and wavwrite commands), however I have no idea how to do it in C programming language as I am new to C. Do I actually need to initialize the sound device? If so, how? I am with the Soundblaster Audigy and Windows XP. Any comments will be highly appreciated.
    :
    : Yee

hello my friend.
    i m mohsin maqsood. i m doing my project on voice recognition system. i read ur mail so that i can get some help. ya say that it is very easy to record 5 sec audio using matlab. so i was wondering if ya can tell me the algorithm how?? actually i m not very good at matlab. and my requirement is to acheive this task in matlab. so plz help me out. i'll be really thanful to you. you can answer me on this website or otherwise
    my mail id is mohsinmaqsood40@hotmail.com
    ok then.i'll be waiting. plz do reply
    bye bye
    :
    : Yee
    :

I remember at least one really great program. And so I've been
    writing to people looking to find it. It was compiled to .exe.
    The size was about 20Kb to 50kb. It worked very very well.
    And I believe the C routines were possibly included.

I have been looking for a particular old software that might have simply been called rec.exe, record.exe
    recordwav.exe , wavrecorder.exe.(or .com). They were about 10Kb to 50Kb in size.

In the days of soundcards and IRQ's and DOS 3.3 I used a very useful command line program
    that offered simply these few choices.

1. a data rate - such as 8, 12, 16, 24khz
    2. a bit size such as 8, 16
    3. a file type such as .aiff, .au, .wav, .pcm (but not mp3)
    4. a saved file name

The command line would have looked about like this:

C:
    ecord -8kz -pcm -16 test.wav

Has anyone figured out how to create a recorder like this or
    have they ever found one? Yes I know there are many recorders
    for Windows. But I really want one for DOS.

Thanks

andre
  • hi andre,
    do u know abt the site "inversereality.org"
    here u can find athe that u require to record 5-sec or 5hr sound.
    u can code it in the dos environment.

All the best,

Regards
    srikanth

• : : Hi, everyone. I am wondering how to write a C program for recording 5-second audio via the PC microphone. I only know it's quite easy to achieve this in the language of MatLab(by just using its wavrecord and wavwrite commands), however I have no idea how to do it in C programming language as I am new to C. Do I actually need to initialize the sound device? If so, how? I am with the Soundblaster Audigy and Windows XP. Any comments will be highly appreciated.
    : :
    : Look up the waveIn API calls in the MSDN. There will probably be a sample program for you to look at too, written in C. The waveIn APIs aren't too bad to work with, and C is probably the easiest langauge to work with them in (it'd probably be a PITA in VB...).
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    :

• : hi andre,
    : do u know abt the site "inversereality.org"
    : here u can find athe that u require to record 5-sec or 5hr sound.
    : u can code it in the dos environment.
    :
    : All the best,
    :
    : Regards
    : srikanth
    :
    :

Srikanth
    I went to inversereality.org and asked for help. I was lost.

Can you provide a more direct link to what you were trying to
    tell me they have? When I wrote to the mail link it bounced back
    immediately.

The program that I am still looking for almost 1 year later did have
    some .PAS which I assume are PASCAL programs which were then compiled
    for me to use in DOS.

Anyone who has any ability to recollect or ask some 'old timers'
    will be of great help to me.

One can reach me at

ajajaj at rediff mail dot com

string that together so that it looks right.

thank you
    andre