What was Starcraft programmed in?

I'm sorry if this question isn't relevant to this messageboard but I am a programmer-wannabe and I am searching for something powerful but simple enough to program in.

I have used DJGPP and Allegro with reasonable success but Windows is the present and most likely the future and the DJGPP/Allegro combo isn't native to it.

I was impressed with Starcraft and it's ability to play well even on my Pentium 166. The graphics were pretty fast despite the high-color.

I am curious as to what Blizzard used to make it and if it is a 'usable' language (similar to Allegro, perhaps).

I have tried my DirectX (went as far as purchasing a book for it and two for Visual C++) but no luck. It is a little too complex for me.

Thank you for your help.

- LKJ

Comments

• You could allways ask them here:

http://www.blizzard.com/inblizz/contact.shtml

Don't blame me if they won't answer you, but if they do, you are allowed to email me and tell me what they said ;)

If I have to guess I would say they used C/C++ or Java, since that is what they want their programmers to know. (Don't bet your life on any of this information though)

Thomas

: I'm sorry if this question isn't relevant to this messageboard but I am a programmer-wannabe and I am searching for something powerful but simple enough to program in.

: I have used DJGPP and Allegro with reasonable success but Windows is the present and most likely the future and the DJGPP/Allegro combo isn't native to it.

: I was impressed with Starcraft and it's ability to play well even on my Pentium 166. The graphics were pretty fast despite the high-color.

: I am curious as to what Blizzard used to make it and if it is a 'usable' language (similar to Allegro, perhaps).

: I have tried my DirectX (went as far as purchasing a book for it and two for Visual C++) but no luck. It is a little too complex for me.

:

: Thank you for your help.

:

: - LKJ

:

:

• A while back someone else wanted to write a game, I found this link and it seems perfect for what you want:

http://www.cdx.sk/

These are class wrappers for DirectX. It includes Sprite, Scrollable Map, Sound effect and music classes.

What else do you need for a starcraft lookalike?!

: I'm sorry if this question isn't relevant to this messageboard but I am a programmer-wannabe and I am searching for something powerful but simple enough to program in.

: I have used DJGPP and Allegro with reasonable success but Windows is the present and most likely the future and the DJGPP/Allegro combo isn't native to it.

: I was impressed with Starcraft and it's ability to play well even on my Pentium 166. The graphics were pretty fast despite the high-color.

: I am curious as to what Blizzard used to make it and if it is a 'usable' language (similar to Allegro, perhaps).

: I have tried my DirectX (went as far as purchasing a book for it and two for Visual C++) but no luck. It is a little too complex for me.

:

: Thank you for your help.

:

: - LKJ

:

:

• Well, I'd almost bet my life that they used C++ (perhaps C) and Assembly. I'd definately bet my life that they did not use Java.

Greets,

Mark

: You could allways ask them here:

:

: http://www.blizzard.com/inblizz/contact.shtml

:

: Don't blame me if they won't answer you, but if they do, you are allowed to email me and tell me what they said ;)

:

: If I have to guess I would say they used C/C++ or Java, since that is what they want their programmers to know. (Don't bet your life on any of this information though)

:

: Thomas

:

: : I'm sorry if this question isn't relevant to this messageboard but I am a programmer-wannabe and I am searching for something powerful but simple enough to program in.

: : I have used DJGPP and Allegro with reasonable success but Windows is the present and most likely the future and the DJGPP/Allegro combo isn't native to it.

: : I was impressed with Starcraft and it's ability to play well even on my Pentium 166. The graphics were pretty fast despite the high-color.

: : I am curious as to what Blizzard used to make it and if it is a 'usable' language (similar to Allegro, perhaps).

: : I have tried my DirectX (went as far as purchasing a book for it and two for Visual C++) but no luck. It is a little too complex for me.

: :

: : Thank you for your help.

: : - LKJ

:

:

:

• : If I have to guess I would say they used C/C++ or Java, since that is what they want their programmers to know. (Don't bet your life on any of this information though)

:

: Thomas

Yeah right, Java...the game programming language of the future!

Starcraft is fast because it runs in an 8-bit paletted mode (256 colors).

There is less information to put to the screen.

Assembly or choice of language has hardly anything to do with the speed.