Next Problem

I've been writing an instant messanger app with the help of many of you from here. my latest Stumbling block is this:

The app i have created is a server/client program using winsock to send the data between the server and client. i've only just realised that if i try to add a second client to the conversation, i get an error saying "Run-time error '40006' Wrong protocol or connection for the requested transaction or request"

Any ideas why this is?

Thanks for your help

Aaron

Comments

• : I've been writing an instant messanger app with the help of many of you from here. my latest Stumbling block is this:
    :
    : The app i have created is a server/client program using winsock to send the data between the server and client. i've only just realised that if i try to add a second client to the conversation, i get an error saying "Run-time error '40006' Wrong protocol or connection for the requested transaction or request"
    :
    : Any ideas why this is?

Do you have an array of Winsocks? You'll need one to listen for incoming requests and one for each of your clients to communicate with. You can't use a single Winsock to handle multiple clients.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• : : I've been writing an instant messanger app with the help of many of you from here. my latest Stumbling block is this:
    : :
    : : The app i have created is a server/client program using winsock to send the data between the server and client. i've only just realised that if i try to add a second client to the conversation, i get an error saying "Run-time error '40006' Wrong protocol or connection for the requested transaction or request"
    : : Any ideas why this is?
    :
    : Do you have an array of Winsocks? You'll need one to listen for incoming requests and one for each of your clients to communicate with. You can't use a single Winsock to handle multiple clients.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    : [code]
    : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : no rows returned
    : [/code]

So what your saying is, if i have 7 users of the app, i will need an array of 7 winsocks on my server?

:
    :

• : : : I've been writing an instant messanger app with the help of many of you from here. my latest Stumbling block is this:
    : : :
    : : : The app i have created is a server/client program using winsock to send the data between the server and client. i've only just realised that if i try to add a second client to the conversation, i get an error saying "Run-time error '40006' Wrong protocol or connection for the requested transaction or request"
    : : : Any ideas why this is?
    : : Do you have an array of Winsocks? You'll need one to listen for incoming requests and one for each of your clients to communicate with. You can't use a single Winsock to handle multiple clients.
    : : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    : : [code]
    : : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : : no rows returned
    : : [/code]
    :
    : So what your saying is, if i have 7 users of the app, i will need an array of 7 winsocks on my server?
    :
    Sounds like it, yes. Remember you can use a dynamic array though.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• : : : : I've been writing an instant messanger app with the help of many of you from here. my latest Stumbling block is this:
    : : : :
    : : : : The app i have created is a server/client program using winsock to send the data between the server and client. i've only just realised that if i try to add a second client to the conversation, i get an error saying "Run-time error '40006' Wrong protocol or connection for the requested transaction or request"
    : : : :
    : : : : Any ideas why this is?
    : : : Do you have an array of Winsocks? You'll need one to listen for incoming requests and one for each of your clients to communicate with. You can't use a single Winsock to handle multiple clients.
    : : : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    : : : [code]
    : : : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : : : no rows returned
    : : : [/code]
    : : So what your saying is, if i have 7 users of the app, i will need an array of 7 winsocks on my server?
    : Sounds like it, yes. Remember you can use a dynamic array though.
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    i only have a really basic Knowledge or using arrays. i've only used an array when i wrote a calculator which was a while ago. do you know any good sites for learning more about arrays and dynamic arrays?

Thanks

Aaron
    :
    :

• : i only have a really basic Knowledge or using arrays. i've only used an array when i wrote a calculator which was a while ago. do you know any good sites for learning more about arrays and dynamic arrays?
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    : Aaron

Programmersheaven - Messageboards - Visual Basic Programming ;-)

Here's the quick link: http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/read.asp?Board=14&MsgID=239106&Setting=A9999F0001

Just joking around... You can just ask here! I'll answer :-)

Greets...
    Richard