VB6 or VB .Net?

I am at the point that I need to consider purchasing my own development tools. I have been working with VB6 at work, and it is what I am familiar with.

However, I think the handwriting is on the wall, and VB .Net will be/is the future.

The issue I have is that I still see and hear a lot of talk about VB6. It definitly has not gone away, and, to me, appears to be as strong as ever. And I see where it is still available for sale.

Anyone have any opinions?

I am still confused about .Net and C# and C++ and VB6. Can anyone point me to some good articles that compare them all (if they are comparable; I still don't get the .Net and C# relationship)?

TIA
Lew Hundley

Comments

• Let me give you a list of Pros and cons:

VB6

Pros:
    - Many Legacy Applications Developed In VB6
    - Good Support For Win32 API
    - Many third party COM components written for it

Cons:
    - Not fully object oriented (Only supports Implementation Inheritence)
    - DLL hell (System locks dll and versioning problems)
    - Too many strange intrinsic commands (#Input, #Put, #Get)
    - Controls dont conform to standard property naming conventions
    - VB6 is not easy to extend
    - Some C++ wizardry is still required to get certain tasks done
    - Single or Apartment threaded

VB.NET

Pros:
    - Fully object oriented (Minus multiple inheritence - Only c++)
    - Leverages .NET framework with over 3600 objects to work with for free
    - No DLL hell, No Registry
    - Easy To Extend
    - Multi-Threaded
    - Widely supported now
    - Web development is event based now
    - Once u learn VB.NET then C# is easy (all .NET languages share framework)
    - Many companies nowadays will be looking for someone to convert VB6 to VB.net

Cons:
    - Is new and lacks in third party support compared to vb6
    - The language is still evolving
    - Porting old VB6 apps is not as easy as Microsoft says
    - Tapping into win32 api is more verbose and requires knowledge of how managed objects are marshalled

C# is a little more robust than VB.NET in that u can write unmanaged code and use c++ pointers in unsafe sections. C# also supports a language feature I wish they would have added to VB.NET, which is operator overloading.

VC++ Managed Extensions has the largest capabilites at the expense of longer code and stranger constructs. You can mix managed and unmanaged code.

In .NET version 2.0 I heard that all languages will support Template programming. A awesome feature C++ has supported for years. You will have the ability to write classes and functions that cover all data types. Instead of having to write the class for each data type.

• : I am still confused about .Net and C# and C++ and VB6. Can anyone point me to some good articles that compare them all (if they are comparable; I still don't get the .Net and C# relationship)?
    :

iwilld0it got everything else so I'll just say:

C# is a .Net language; you can kind of think of it as C++.Net though that's not really too accurate...