Religion

I think it is fine to stop tormenting each other about differences in religion. However, I think denying that God exists , simply because we haven't 'seen' Him is as silly as denying that our parents had sex simply because we did not see them do it. God exists and there is no denying that. What do you think?

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2003-8-6 7:41:24[/red][/b][hr]
    : I think it is fine to stop tormenting each other about differences in religion. However, I think denying that God exists , simply because we haven't 'seen' Him is as silly as denying that our parents had sex simply because we did not see them do it. God exists and there is no denying that. What do you think?
    :
    [blue]I have not wanted to participate in religious debate anymore but your example with our parents sex made me laugh. I think that example is not that correct because there is a physical evidence that [b]IT WAS HAPPENED [/b]. It's us. But there is no any physical evidence about God. Second, how many Gods exists and which one Christians, Jewish, Muslims? How about polytheism when people believe in bunch of Gods?[/blue]

• : I think it is fine to stop tormenting each other about differences in religion. However, I think denying that God exists , simply because we haven't 'seen' Him is as silly as denying that our parents had sex simply because we did not see them do it.

Ok, a few points here. First, nobody here (that I have seen) has denied that God exists. Second, as Lion said, there is evidence of our parents having sex, namely ourselves. I would change your statement to "denying that God exists is as silly as claiming that God exists." Meaning both statements are based purely on faith.

: God exists and there is no denying that. What do you think?

There's plenty of denying that. It's not as common a position as believing God exists, but there are lots of people who do it. In my case, I simply don't accept the assertion "God exists" as some sort of cosmic axiom. Of course, I would have to ask you to define "God" to give a specific answer.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• hmmm, this is just another topic about religion. And guess what, this aint the first that starts with something like "lets stop debate..." or "think its fine.... etc etc".

WHY do i have the feeling that religious debates here are unstopable?

oh yea, infidel made me laugh AGAIN!!!

"denying that God exists is as silly as claiming that God exists."

go for it infidel!!

: : I think it is fine to stop tormenting each other about differences in religion. However, I think denying that God exists , simply because we haven't 'seen' Him is as silly as denying that our parents had sex simply because we did not see them do it.
    :
    : Ok, a few points here. First, nobody here (that I have seen) has denied that God exists. Second, as Lion said, there is evidence of our parents having sex, namely ourselves. I would change your statement to "denying that God exists is as silly as claiming that God exists." Meaning both statements are based purely on faith.
    :
    : : God exists and there is no denying that. What do you think?
    :
    : There's plenty of denying that. It's not as common a position as believing God exists, but there are lots of people who do it. In my case, I simply don't accept the assertion "God exists" as some sort of cosmic axiom. Of course, I would have to ask you to define "God" to give a specific answer.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

[size=5][italic][blue]Dar[RED]Q[/RED][/blue][/italic][/size]
    url--> http://space.servehttp.com (ssh,ftp,http,stmp,imap etc etc)

• [b][red]This message was edited by GyronMkwebo at 2003-8-8 23:5:43[/red][/b][hr]
    : hmmm, this is just another topic about religion. And guess what, this aint the first that starts with something like "lets stop debate..." or "think its fine.... etc etc".
    :
    : WHY do i have the feeling that religious debates here are unstopable?
    :
    : oh yea, infidel made me laugh AGAIN!!!
    :
    : "denying that God exists is as silly as claiming that God exists."
    :
    : go for it infidel!!
    :
    :
    : : : I think it is fine to stop tormenting each other about differences in religion. However, I think denying that God exists , simply because we haven't 'seen' Him is as silly as denying that our parents had sex simply because we did not see them do it.
    : :
    : : Ok, a few points here. First, nobody here (that I have seen) has denied that God exists. Second, as Lion said, there is evidence of our parents having sex, namely ourselves. I would change your statement to "denying that God exists is as silly as claiming that God exists." Meaning both statements are based purely on faith.
    : : : God exists and there is no denying that. What do you think?
    : : There's plenty of denying that. It's not as common a position as believing God exists, but there are lots of people who do it. In my case, I simply don't accept the assertion "God exists" as some sort of cosmic axiom. Of course, I would have to ask you to define "God" to give a specific answer.
    : : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue]Dar[RED]Q[/RED][/blue][/italic][/size]
    : url--> http://space.servehttp.com (ssh,ftp,http,stmp,imap etc etc)
    :
    : ::Alright guys, let me explain my point about God's existence. I think there is no difference to the God worshipped by christians, Muslims and Traditionalists or any other religion(except Satanists , ofcorse!), the only difference is on the methodology of communicating with Him, but thats beside the point, methodologies are about emotions and to some extent fanaticism and/or fundamentalism.
    Lionb's point is that we dont deny that our parents had sex coz we exist, which is the same reason we dont deny that God is there, because we exist!
    What i have observed is that those people who deny the existence of God try to clear themselves of responsibilities, and shield themselves from a guilty conscience when they do despicable things which the Bible and the Koran explicitly state to be ungodly and unethical, like prostitution, rape, murder, homosexuality , and a host of other sins i cant state here.
    I am not saying thats the reason for all of the people who do not believe in God , but for a large majority, it is. Some things these people do would make one feel the same way one would if one wakes up with a dead rat in his/her mouth, (extremely disgusted and horriffied!).
    If everyone beleived in God and followed God's way of life, there would be no wars, no suffering and no diseases to the scale we are currently experiencing.
    I am not a religious fanatic, nor am i a paragon of morals and ethics, but of all the things i know to be a CONSTANT, its the existence of God. I am positive that everyone has that feeling in their conscience, which is the reason why nomatter how much they try to deny it, the 'residue' of morals, the knowledge of what is good and what is bad still remains in them.
    My parting shot is, its never too late to make the right decision, topping the list of such decisions being turning to God and living within the confines of his ethics and morals.
    Mc Gyron ; )

• [b][red]This message was edited by DarQ at 2003-8-10 9:56:58[/red][/b][hr]

hmmm

: : ::Alright guys, let me explain my point about God's existence. I think there is no difference to the God worshipped by christians, Muslims and Traditionalists or any other religion(except Satanists , ofcorse!), the only difference is on the methodology of communicating with Him, but thats beside the point, methodologies are about emotions and to some extent fanaticism and/or fundamentalism.
    : Lionb's point is that we dont deny that our parents had sex coz we exist, which is the same reason we dont deny that God is there, because we exist!
    : What i have observed is that those people who deny the existence of God try to clear themselves of responsibilities, and shield themselves from a guilty conscience when they do despicable things which the Bible and the Koran explicitly state to be ungodly and unethical, like prostitution, rape, murder, homosexuality , and a host of other sins i cant state here.
    [blue]prostitution? homosexuality?? how can those 2 things be sins/unethical??? i think its a sin for just calling that a sin/unethical. where is the freedom of choice? me being gay or going to a babe in amsterdam or leeuwarden does NOT hurt anyone (leeos, consider this hypotheticaly speaking ;-) ).[/blue]

: I am not saying thats the reason for all of the people who do not believe in God , but for a large majority, it is. Some things these people do would make one feel the same way one would if one wakes up with a dead rat in his/her mouth, (extremely disgusted and horriffied!).
    : If everyone beleived in God and followed God's way of life, there would be no wars, no suffering and no diseases to the scale we are currently experiencing.
    : I am not a religious fanatic, nor am i a paragon of morals and ethics, but of all the things i know to be a CONSTANT, its the existence of God. I am positive that everyone has that feeling in their conscience, which is the reason why nomatter how much they try to deny it, the 'residue' of morals, the knowledge of what is good and what is bad still remains in them.
    : My parting shot is, its never too late to make the right decision, topping the list of such decisions being turning to God and living within the confines of his ethics and morals.
    [blue]i believe that these unethical confines are unethical themselves[/blue]
    : Mc Gyron ; )
    :
    [blue]well, you do sound like a fanatic to me. your way of speaking ("..nomatter how much they try to deny it.." and "its never too late to make the right decision" i agree with the second quote, but that doesnt matter right now) is similar with that of those religious people that try to break in my house with their whole family including 9 months old baby, and overwhelm me with more of those typical lines.

ok, this is just another first impression of you :-D

• [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2003-8-11 5:9:29[/red][/b][hr]
    hmmm
    :
    :
    : : I am not a religious fanatic,
    :
    :
    : [blue]well, you do sound like a fanatic to me.
    [green] Same here ... [/green]
    your way of speaking ("..nomatter how much they try to deny it.." and "its never too late to make the right decision" i agree with the second quote, but that doesnt matter right now) is similar with that of those religious people that try to break in my house with their whole family including 9 months old baby, and overwhelm me with more of those typical lines.

• : [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2003-8-11 5:9:29[/red][/b][hr]
    : hmmm
    : : : I am not a religious fanatic,
    : : [blue]well, you do sound like a fanatic to me.
    : [green] Same here ... [/green]
    : your way of speaking ("..nomatter how much they try to deny it.." and "its never too late to make the right decision" i agree with the second quote, but that doesnt matter right now) is similar with that of those religious people that try to break in my house with their whole family including 9 months old baby, and overwhelm me with more of those typical lines.
    :
    Yep...that's why I have two german shepherd dogs. ;-) The puppy is learning it's trade very fast from the BIG beast.

• roger that!

: : [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2003-8-11 5:9:29[/red][/b][hr]
    : : hmmm
    : : :
    : : : : I am not a religious fanatic,
    : : : [blue]well, you do sound like a fanatic to me.
    : : [green] Same here ... [/green]
    : : your way of speaking ("..nomatter how much they try to deny it.." and "its never too late to make the right decision" i agree with the second quote, but that doesnt matter right now) is similar with that of those religious people that try to break in my house with their whole family including 9 months old baby, and overwhelm me with more of those typical lines.
    : Yep...that's why I have two german shepherd dogs. ;-) The puppy is learning it's trade very fast from the BIG beast.
    :
    :
    :

• : : ::Alright guys, let me explain my point about God's existence. I think there is no difference to the God worshipped by christians, Muslims and Traditionalists or any other religion(except Satanists , ofcorse!),

You are certainly entitled to that opinion, but it is simply false. If you speak historically then yes, the Jews, Christians and Muslims all go back to the God of Abraham. What would you say to the Hindus? Or the Asatru (or any other modern pagan)? There are even many muslims and christians who would violently disagree with you. There's certainly a difference between the gods worshipped by Osama bin Laden and Pope John Paul II.

: the only difference is on the methodology of communicating with Him, but thats beside the point,

Not really. Prayer is prayer no matter if you're standing on your head or whatever. The reall differences lie in what people do as prompted by their religion since actions are all that really matters to the rest of us. You could think any weird idea in your head, but until you act on it, it's just a thought in your head.

: Lionb's point is that we dont deny that our parents had sex coz we exist, which is the same reason we dont deny that God is there, because we exist!

That doesn't logically follow. We know that sex leads to babies. So therefore, if there's a baby it logically follows that two people had sex (nevermind modern technological intervention). God doesn't figure into this picture at all.

: What i have observed is that those people who deny the existence of God try to clear themselves of responsibilities, and shield themselves from a guilty conscience when they do despicable things which the Bible and the Koran explicitly state to be ungodly and unethical, like prostitution, rape, murder, homosexuality , and a host of other sins i cant state here.

This is a typical argument posed by believers. What I have observed is that people will behave certain ways regardless of their professed beliefs. People who believe in God try to clear themselves of responsibility, and sheld themselves from from a guilty conscience when they do descpicable things which the Bible et al explicitly state to be ungodly and unethical by simply praying for "forgiveness" from the great vending machine in the sky.

And furthermore, grouping prostitution and homosexuality with murder and rape is nonsensical. The former involve no victims, the latter require victims.

: I am not saying thats the reason for all of the people who do not believe in God , but for a large majority, it is.

And you know this how? Seems to me that believers are always pointing out the fact that the vast majority of humans believe in God (in some form or another). That means the vast majority of people doing bad things are believers.

: Some things these people do would make one feel the same way one would if one wakes up with a dead rat in his/her mouth, (extremely disgusted and horriffied!).

That's an interesting, though bizarre, metaphor.

: If everyone beleived in God and followed God's way of life, there would be no wars, no suffering and no diseases to the scale we are currently experiencing.

You're kidding, right? Have you ever read the Old Testament? Do you know what the Hebrews did to capture "the promised land"? And it's precisely because of Jews, Christians, and Muslims believing in God (remember, you said they were the same God) that the Middle East in re Israel is a perpetual landmine. Diseases are purely biological. It's also interesting to note that the bubonic plague was so devastating in Europe partly because the believers-in-God killed cats, believing them to be witch's demon-familiars, allowing the rat population to explode, carrying the plague-infected parasites with them.

: I am not a religious fanatic, nor am i a paragon of morals and ethics, but of all the things i know to be a CONSTANT, its the existence of God.

I am not a religious person, nor am i a paragon of morals and ethics, but of all the things i know to be a CONSTANT, its the speed of light in a vacuum.

: I am positive that everyone has that feeling in their conscience, which is the reason why nomatter how much they try to deny it, the 'residue' of morals, the knowledge of what is good and what is bad still remains in them.

Maybe it's just because we as humans have the ability to understand what others feel?

: My parting shot is, its never too late to make the right decision, topping the list of such decisions being turning to God and living within the confines of his ethics and morals.

See, I don't need any cosmic vending machine to be a moral or ethical person. I don't need the promise of Heaven nor the threat of Hell to want to do good and lead a moral life.

• [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2003-8-11 10:35:41[/red][/b][hr]
    ::Alright guys, let me explain my point about God's existence. I think there is no difference to the God worshipped by christians, Muslims and Traditionalists or any other religion(except Satanists , ofcorse!), the only difference is on the methodology of communicating with Him, but thats beside the point, methodologies are about emotions and to some extent fanaticism and/or fundamentalism.
    [blue]Absolutely not!!! Accordung to bible, Tora, Quaran God created ONLY two persons male and female. He did not create different races/nationalities or different looking people.So we all has to look like Adam and Eva but we don't. We are so different! Eropean, African, Asian. Even people from the same race looks very different. Like
    Euoropean people from North do not look like people from South. May I ask you why?[/blue]
    : I am not saying thats the reason for all of the people who do not believe in God , but for a large majority, it is. Some things these people do would make one feel the same way one would if one wakes up with a dead rat in his/her mouth, (extremely disgusted and horriffied!).
    : I am not a religious fanatic, nor am i a paragon of morals and ethics, but of all the things i know to be a CONSTANT, its the existence of God. I am positive that everyone has that feeling in their conscience, which is the reason why nomatter how much they try to deny it, the 'residue' of morals, the knowledge of what is good and what is bad still remains in them.
    : Mc Gyron ; )
    :
    :
    :

• : I am not a religious person, nor am i a paragon of morals and
    : ethics, but of all the things i know to be a CONSTANT, its the speed
    : of light in a vacuum.
    Actually there was a suggestion a while back that a few things pointed to it having gradually changed over a period of time. Don't ask for details, it was a year or two back that I read about it.

;-)

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• : : Lionb's point is that we dont deny that our parents had sex coz we
    : : exist, which is the same reason we dont deny that God is there,
    : : because we exist!
    : Absolutely not!!! Accordung to bible, Tora, Quaran God created ONLY
    : two persons male and female. He did not create different
    : races/nationalities or different looking people.So we all has to
    : look like Adam and Eva but we don't. We are so different! Eropean,
    : African, Asian. Even people from the same race looks very different.
    : Like Euoropean people from North do not look like people from South.
    : May I ask you why?
    Yeah, yeah, you didn't ask me. :-) Though the answer is probably something to do with evolution. Whether the human species came to be through evolution is another point altogether, but I'd certainly say that within a given species evolution takes place through the mechanism of natural selection. Just look at the peppered moth, was it, that during the industrial revolution ended up changing color to be better camoflauged.

I'm not sure people evolved to look different for the purpose of camoflauge (I'm sure I've spelt that word wrong) though!

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• : I'm not sure people evolved to look different for the purpose of camoflauge (I'm sure I've spelt that word wrong) though!

No, but do you think it's coincidence that all the fair-skinned people trace back to very northern lands?

• : : I am not a religious person, nor am i a paragon of morals and
    : : ethics, but of all the things i know to be a CONSTANT, its the speed
    : : of light in a vacuum.
    : Actually there was a suggestion a while back that a few things pointed to it having gradually changed over a period of time. Don't ask for details, it was a year or two back that I read about it.

I've heard various rumors of that. Most of the time, though, its from creationist wackos who are trying to reverse-engineer the big bang to fit their 6000 year timescale. Would be interested in any details if you happen across them.

• [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2003-8-11 13:9:27[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2003-8-11 13:8:24[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I'm not sure people evolved to look different for the purpose of camoflauge (I'm sure I've spelt that word wrong) though!
    :
    : No, but do you think it's coincidence that all the fair-skinned people trace back to very northern lands?
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :
    [blue]All of them? I do not think so. There must be some logical, may be physiological, explanation. When I was College student I heard of some physiological speculation about hormone melatonin which plays some role in skin pigmatation. There was some hypothesis that hormone produces dark skin pigment that reflect or absorbe ultraviolet. That's why people on the south, where a lot of sunshine and ultraviolet has darker slin. I believe this hypothesis is stil just hypothesis and there is no real scientific evidence but it sounds very logical. At the same time it stil doesn't expalain why people in Africa has much darker skin than people who live in middle east even though they have almost the same number of sunshine days[/blue]