Test if CGI is working.

How do I tell if my cgi-bin is funcioning properly?

im using apache2 on winXP

Comments

• Hi,

: How do I tell if my cgi-bin is funcioning properly?
    :
    : im using apache2 on winXP

Uh...throw a script in there and see if it executes. ;-) Obviously, the server will need to know how to handle those scripts. Try putting a Perl script like this in there (you've got ActivePerl or a windows Perl distribution, right?)

#!C:/perl/bin/perl.exe

print "Content-type: text/html

Hello world!

";

If it's set up right, you'll see the text "Hello world!" when you point your browser at the script. If you see the script, you've got it wrong.

Jonathan

-------------------------------------------
    Count your downloads:
    http://www.downloadcounter.com/
    And host your site:
    http://www.incrahost.com/
    Don't say I never give you anything... ;-)

• : Hi,
    :
    : : How do I tell if my cgi-bin is funcioning properly?
    : :
    : : im using apache2 on winXP
    :
    : Uh...throw a script in there and see if it executes. ;-) Obviously, the server will need to know how to handle those scripts. Try putting a Perl script like this in there (you've got ActivePerl or a windows Perl distribution, right?)
    :
    : #!C:/perl/bin/perl.exe
    :
    : print "Content-type: text/html

Hello world!

";
    :
    :
    : If it's set up right, you'll see the text "Hello world!" when you point your browser at the script. If you see the script, you've got it wrong.
    :
    : Jonathan
    :

I just figured it out. It's something really stupid as usuall. I had all my directives and all that apache configurations correct. Except on the first line of the perl script where your sopposed to put the directory where perl is located ' #!/usr/bin/perl ' according to the many online souces and the book I have, well I thought that, that was for unix or linux or one of crazy things, you see im on winXP and perl is located in ' C:/perl/bin ' but for some reason ' #!/usr/bin/perl ' works and the real location ' C:/perl/bin ' dosent.

maybe you could elaborate on this...
  • Hi,

: I just figured it out. It's something really stupid as usuall. I had all my directives and all that apache configurations correct. Except on the first line of the perl script where your sopposed to put the directory where perl is located ' #!/usr/bin/perl ' according to the many online souces and the book I have, well I thought that, that was for unix or linux or one of crazy things, you see im on winXP and perl is located in ' C:/perl/bin ' but for some reason ' #!/usr/bin/perl ' works and the real location ' C:/perl/bin ' dosent.
    :
    : maybe you could elaborate on this...

"Elaborate" Favorite word? ;-) j/k

Well...what to say...here's my rough and ready explanation. The shebang is a Linux/UNIX thing - under windows you are used to a file's extension determining what it is. In Linux/UNIX the first line of a script says what it should be interpreted with. Shell scripts often have #!/bin/sh on the top of them, for example. Perl scripts have the location of the Perl interpreter, #!/usr/bin/perl quite a lot of the time.

One thing I've heard is that under Windows it doesn't matter whether or not you have a #! (sh-bang) line. You could get away without one. But why things like:-

#!C:PerlBinPerl.exe

Won't work, I have no idea. Two pointers:-
    1) You need to point to the Perl executable.
    2) The #! must be at the start of the line. It's not part of the path!

#!/usr/bin/perl
    perl is the name of the perl exeutable in the folder /usr/bin (yep, no .exe extension on Linux). You'll also notice they don't have drive letters under Linux/UNIX. :-)

Any help?

Joanthan

-------------------------------------------
    Count your downloads:
    http://www.downloadcounter.com/
    And host your site:
    http://www.incrahost.com/
    Don't say I never give you anything... ;-)

• It's all clear to me now...
    ...except the there's some logging problems Ive run into, which I have posted a new message for.

maybe you could answer that too...