newby / asm system safety

(I'm rather new to x86 asm but know m.f. asm)

I "damaged" my system a year ago and I don't know if asm programming was at fault.

I did not wipe out my hard drive - Just on Win'98, all the items in the start menu disappeared one evening.

I was /not/ doing any asm disk processing programs. Only MASM611, print, and.... also Javascript.

Hardware: Gateway Astro w/ Celeron processor. (Mac-style entry level pc.) - Running AOL.

Any tips?

Thx

Comments

• : (I'm rather new to x86 asm but know m.f. asm)
    :
    : I "damaged" my system a year ago and I don't know if asm programming was at fault.
    :
    : I did not wipe out my hard drive - Just on Win'98, all the items in the start menu disappeared one evening.
    :
    : I was /not/ doing any asm disk processing programs. Only MASM611, print, and.... also Javascript.
    :
    : Hardware: Gateway Astro w/ Celeron processor. (Mac-style entry level pc.) - Running AOL.
    :
    : Any tips?
    :
    : Thx
    :

When you dont access the harddisk in asm (which you would definitely see in the code... yoiu should not screw you disk up. Just like any other language, asm can't just wipe the start menu away. You would notice that in you code. Otherwisse every virus would be ASM, if you could so easily wipe out complete windows, i knew what i would be doing ;-)

SUSE LINUX 7.3 PRO - The world starts behind windows

• Thirteen years later we have virtualization, so I think it is easy to protect a machine's resources.