Embedded software design

what is meant by emdedded software?
what is difference between a simple software and embedded one?
What is difference between c++, JAVA and Embedded c++ and embedded Java?

Comments

• : what is meant by emdedded software?
    : what is difference between a simple software and embedded one?
    : What is difference between c++, JAVA and Embedded c++ and embedded Java?
    :

i believe the label "embedded" refers to using devices other then PC's (or traditional computers)...typically these embedded devices will run on a multitude of processors ( motorolla, ATMEL, IBM, SUN,..etc) and the software is usually designed to be very compact and use as few cpu cycles as possible

unlike the traditional ("simple") software , which is designed and compiled on an x86 or 68K , that will be targeted to run on an larger scale

can anyone else add more?...

• : what is meant by emdedded software?
    : what is difference between a simple software and embedded one?
    : What is difference between c++, JAVA and Embedded c++ and embedded Java?
    :
    Having done embedded software for 18 years, I might have a few insights. ;-)

A system is embedded if it is used as other than a general purpose computer. A PC can be embedded if it's used to, for instance, control some industrial process. But most embedded systems are small, using 8051, Z80 or i960 CPUs. The thingies that allow you to program your VCR or operate your microwave oven are embedded systems.

If an embedded system is real-time, there are many issues that come into play but don't apply to PC software. Far too much to go into in a short reply. There are several books available on embedded system design (check for them on www.amazon.com). In short, application programmers don't usually make good embedded system programmers, but embedded system programmers can do anything. Well, almost anything. :-)

• hi
    Im a windows device driver guy now into firmware development. I can call my project embedded one. I have to work with 8051 and control a USB printer via a USB host controller.

it is like this

PC-> bluetooth <<<------->>>> bluetooth-->8052-->USB HC-->printer

the on the right side is my project an embedded system with a BT module, a 8052, a USB host controller & Printer.

As this is bidirectional communication I got hell lot of doubts and no one to guide me I want ur help can u ?

regards,
    Siddarth,
    Taipei, Taiwan

• : : what is meant by emdedded software?
    : : what is difference between a simple software and embedded one?
    : : What is difference between c++, JAVA and Embedded c++ and embedded Java?
    : :
    : Having done embedded software for 18 years, I might have a few insights. ;-)
    :
    : A system is embedded if it is used as other than a general purpose computer. A PC can be embedded if it's used to, for instance, control some industrial process. But most embedded systems are small, using 8051, Z80 or i960 CPUs. The thingies that allow you to program your VCR or operate your microwave oven are embedded systems.
    :
    : If an embedded system is real-time, there are many issues that come into play but don't apply to PC software. Far too much to go into in a short reply. There are several books available on embedded system design (check for them on www.amazon.com). In short, application programmers don't usually make good embedded system programmers, but embedded system programmers can do anything. Well, almost anything. :-)
    :
    :
    :
    : Well, I have some more things to add. ;)
    The word embedded is coined because, the software resides inside a hardware environment and controlls it! But this just doesn't qualify any system to be embedded system. Rather there are some characteristics that can certainly qualify an embedded system:
    1. Single functioned. System is specific to an application. This is a major distinguishing factor. The normal desktop systems will handle many things such as controlling a printer, document editors, browsers, games and manymore
    2. Resource contraints: Embedded systems will have very less resources. This is very natural as the system is application specific. The cost of an embedded system is expected to be very less.
    3. Optionally real-time performance should be exposed.

As regard to embedded software. THis is something which resides inside a hardware.

Good Luck guys,

Prashant Adkoli.
    mail me @: adkoli@mbplindia.com
  • Hi Siddarth,
    What are your doubts ?

Regards
    Manjunath

• Hai siddu,

Please list ur doubts...

Ramk
    Indchem,India

: hi
    : Im a windows device driver guy now into firmware development. I can call my project embedded one. I have to work with 8051 and control a USB printer via a USB host controller.
    :
    : it is like this
    :
    : PC-> bluetooth <<<------->>>> bluetooth-->8052-->USB HC-->printer
    :
    : the on the right side is my project an embedded system with a BT module, a 8052, a USB host controller & Printer.
    :
    : As this is bidirectional communication I got hell lot of doubts and no one to guide me I want ur help can u ?
    :
    : regards,
    : Siddarth,
    : Taipei, Taiwan
    :
    :

• embedded-processor architecture designed specifically for the Altera family of FPGA s. computing applications, from DSP to system-control. [img=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/ADSL_modem_router_internals_labeled.jpg/300px-ADSL_modem_router_internals_labeled.jpg]
    http://www.automateandvalidate.com