The best Linux OS!

Hey guys, as you may have noticed by the posts I have been submitting lately... I am a newbie to Linux.

Can you guys clue me in on the best Linux OS's? And of course, why you feel they are the best...

-=ryan=-

Comments

• : Hey guys, as you may have noticed by the posts I have been submitting lately... I am a newbie to Linux.

Thats ok.
    :
    : Can you guys clue me in on the best Linux OS's? And of course, why you feel they are the best...
    :

There is only 1 linux OS. Just different distributions.
    I personally prefer slackware, but then I seem to like freebsd as an OS better

: -=ryan=-
    :

• I personally use RedHat most of the time. I have found that for me (good knowledge of hardware) it was the easiest to set up on my machines. Also I deal with a lot of redhat machines so it's the distriution that I have become most familiar with.

I also have worked with FreeBSD and OpenBSD and have found them both to be exelent OS's.
  • Cool. Can anyone give me a list of all the distributions...

No, this is not a quiz, I am just wanting to learn as much as possible.

I feel bad, i am just sucking informationfrom you guys, and not giving you anything...

If anyone needs to know anything about HTMl, and/or graphic design, let me know...

I know, this is a linux board, so let's keep it to that, so you can e-mail me @ echo@echostats.com

I design websites, well, try.

-=ryan=-
  • : Hey guys, as you may have noticed by the posts I have been submitting lately... I am a newbie to Linux.
    :
    : Can you guys clue me in on the best Linux OS's? And of course, why you feel they are the best...
    :
    :
    :
    Which distribution is "best" is mostly a matter of personal opinion. Making bold assertions about which is best is guaranteed to start a flame war.

However, my experience using Slackware, Mandrake, SuSE and Red Hat has convinced me to stay with Red Hat and avoid others unless I feel masochistic. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary, keep your flames to yourself, etc, etc, etc...

Why do I prefer Red Hat? It's easy to install, it's stable, has lots of good stuff in it. Mandrake wouldn't install for me, SuSE installed easily, but crashed several times a day, Slackware was a pain to install, but was solid after that. I've never tried Debian or any of the lesser know distros, so have no opinion on them.

• Find a person, familiar to Linux, nearby You, ask him this

question and this will be the best choice.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    personally I like debian although it is not the easiest to use. mandrake for ease of use and redhat is kind of a standard
  • hi ok

mix responses

if you want ease of installation then it have to be mandrake which partition your hard drive automatically

and very easy to use

i think it would be your perfect choice you are newbie.

: : Hey guys, as you may have noticed by the posts I have been submitting lately... I am a newbie to Linux.
    : :
    : : Can you guys clue me in on the best Linux OS's? And of course, why you feel they are the best...
    : : -=ryan=-

: personally I like debian although it is not the easiest to use. mandrake for ease of use and redhat is kind of a standard
    :

• : : Hey guys, as you may have noticed by the posts I have been submitting lately... I am a newbie to Linux.
    :
    : Thats ok.
    : : Can you guys clue me in on the best Linux OS's? And of course, why you feel they are the best...
    :
    : There is only 1 linux OS. Just different distributions.
    : I personally prefer slackware, but then I seem to like freebsd as an OS better
    :
    : : -=ryan=-
    :
    :

Like ryan said, all linux kernals are same. What is different is the installation and applications that come with it. I would suggest Red Hat or Mandrake. I strongly do not recommend SuSE. It has severe installation issues and moreover their customer support sucks. Red Hat is the best. You can download it for free, or u can buy it from their site and if you are not satisfied you can get a refund. Some computers have hardware issues like mine a DELL system, 512MB, 60GB, and 1.8G took me forever to install. This was because some devices were specifically built to run on windows... which SUCKS.... I know about people who build software for a Hardware... Vice versa is microsofts dirty business game... If you trying dual boot... thats another challenge esp with XP/2000 or NT. I m with LINUX now and I love its cool features. NO Blue screen no exceptions and with Kylix, its AWESOME!!!!! HAIL BORLAND AND LINUX!!! ........Raj