ROOT INSTALL ERROR!

Help! please!
::
I am trying to install Linux RedHat 7.2 - from cd of course. I made 2 partitions out of a 19GB hard drive, using Partition Magic.
Drive C : WINXP Professional
Drive F (partition) : empty, currently
Whenever I try to install Redhat I get an error stating that I must select a root directory or something, I do not understand...
Please help! I would like to get this dual - booting soon.

-=ryan=-

Comments

• : Help! please!
    : ::
    : I am trying to install Linux RedHat 7.2 - from cd of course. I made 2 partitions out of a 19GB hard drive, using Partition Magic.
    : Drive C : WINXP Professional
    : Drive F (partition) : empty, currently
    : Whenever I try to install Redhat I get an error stating that I must select a root directory or something, I do not understand...
    : Please help! I would like to get this dual - booting soon.
    :
    : -=ryan=-
    :

"/" is the root partition. One partition(where u plan on installing linux) should be selected as "/" and you should make another partition which will type "swap" (size of swap partition should be twice your ram)

Thats not an error by the way.
  • Ok, here is the exact error message...

'The following critical erors exist with your requested partionining schemes : You have not defined a root partition (/) which is required for installation of Rehat Linux to continue. These errors must be corrected prior to continueing with your installation of Redhat Linux.'

I know you already attepted to answer this question, but I am not sure how to make the partition (/) or whatever...

-=ryan=-
  • just prior to getting that error I would assume you had a screen where you could set up your partitions... In redhat there is DiskDruid, or FDisk. I'm not sure what is available in Mandrake, but if you look around a bit and see the information on the partition you want to install to, you should have an option to set the mountpoint.

Set it to /

also I believe once you do that you will get another error about a swap partition.

Easiest method in my opinion would be delete the empty partition through the partition manager available to you and create 1 partiton of type SWAP and one EXT2 partition with mountpoint / .

There are really 2 common ideas for sizefor the swap partition. 1X your ram or 2X your ram. I tend to go with 2X the ram unless the machine has a lot and will not be heavily used.

Hope this helps
    Garwain
    AKA Ben Martin

• Thank you very much, it is now installed.

But...

I am currently running winXP Professional, and then I installed Redhat 7.2 on a differwent partition expecting to be able to dual boot, but I do not know how to get over to Redhat...

Can you help me again?