3 Questions

Hi, I am new to all of this stuff..I just uploaded my site using frontpage on a free domain. Now I have 3 questions please:

1) how do I make a border on my links, i.e. for example if I have the word "downloads" and want to make a circular border around it with a different colour from the text, what is the code to write?

2) I want to make 2 fidex buttons with the words "up" and "down" on them, one that when pressed, the page scrolls downwards, and the other upwards, what is the code to write?

3) how do I make the contents of my page above the banners of the hosting site?

10x

Comments

• : Hi, I am new to all of this stuff..I just uploaded my site using frontpage on a free domain. Now I have 3 questions please:
    :
    : 1) how do I make a border on my links, i.e. for example if I have the word "downloads" and want to make a circular border around it with a different colour from the text, what is the code to write?
    :
    : 2) I want to make 2 fidex buttons with the words "up" and "down" on them, one that when pressed, the page scrolls downwards, and the other upwards, what is the code to write?
    :
    : 3) how do I make the contents of my page above the banners of the hosting site?
    :
    : 10x
    :

• : 1) how do I make a border on my links, i.e. for example if I have the word "downloads" and want to make a circular border around it with a different colour from the text, what is the code to write?

Make the word "dowloads" in an image that has a circle around it.

: 2) I want to make 2 fidex buttons with the words "up" and "down" on them, one that when pressed, the page scrolls downwards, and the other upwards, what is the code to write?

Where have you seen something like this? Go look at their source.

: 3) how do I make the contents of my page above the banners of the hosting site?

If you go into the HTML of your webpage, you should see where the hosting site put in their banner. Just move it to below your own information.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Later in life you will be more disappointed by the things you haven't done than by those you have. So cast off the bowlines and sail away into the seas of opportunity.

• Hi there. I'll answer questions 1 and 2:

: 1) how do I make a border on my links, i.e. for example if I have the word "downloads" and want to make a circular border around it with a different colour from the text, what is the code to write?

Make an image with the circular border you have imaginated (no writting onto it). Try making it to fit the largest word you would want to fit in that same border. Then put your links in DIVs (or LAYERs, you should find it on frontpage), and as background of those DIVs, you should put the image with the circular border.
    This way, you will only need one single image. If you make one image to each link, the page could be kinda heavy...

Hummm. The scrolling thing I know how to do. Watch this sample:

That will make the two buttons. Now, about making them fix... You should put them in a small FRAME.

That's it. I hope I helped. You said you're a beginner, so if you need any help in understanding anything that was said above, just say!

-- Secret_Doom --

secret_doom@hotmail.com
    www.batch.hpg.com.br
  • Hi there again.
    I forgot to mention something, in answer number 2:

If you're gonna put the buttons in a frame, the code will be different. Let's say you'll have two frames -- 'leftFrame' and 'mainFrame' -- and the buttons would be at leftFrame. Then the code for them would be:

Got it? I hope so.

-- Secret_Doom --

secret_doom@hotmail.com
    www.batch.hpg.com.br

• : Hi there. I'll answer questions 1 and 2:
    :
    : : 1) how do I make a border on my links, i.e. for example if I have the word "downloads" and want to make a circular border around it with a different colour from the text, what is the code to write?
    :
    : Make an image with the circular border you have imaginated (no writting onto it). Try making it to fit the largest word you would want to fit in that same border. Then put your links in DIVs (or LAYERs, you should find it on frontpage), and as background of those DIVs, you should put the image with the circular border.
    : This way, you will only need one single image. If you make one image to each link, the page could be kinda heavy...
    :
    :
    :
    : : 2) I want to make 2 fidex buttons with the words "up" and "down" on them, one that when pressed, the page scrolls downwards, and the other upwards, what is the code to write?
    :
    : Hummm. The scrolling thing I know how to do. Watch this sample:
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : That will make the two buttons. Now, about making them fix... You should put them in a small FRAME.
    :
    :
    :
    : That's it. I hope I helped. You said you're a beginner, so if you need any help in understanding anything that was said above, just say!
    :
    : -- Secret_Doom --
    :
    : secret_doom@hotmail.com
    : www.batch.hpg.com.br
    :

• Hi,

It didnt work, or I made a mistake..dont know..

anyway what I had in mind is something in this page:

http://www.tgcom.it/ArticoloTgCom/articoli/articolo33020.shtml

..which works by mouseover.

Re the banners, they r automatically put above the body, so I don't know if I can shift them underneath.

10x

//networm32.netfirms.com
  • Hi there. I've made a very good example to you.

Here goes three HTML sources. Save them as the name specifyed (all in the same directory) and run the first one 'index.htm' :

[green]
    filename: index.htm

[/green][blue]

filename: main.htm

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

a

b

[/blue][red]

filename: scrollpage.htm

function _scrolldown () {
    timer = setTimeout('_scrolldown()',50)
    parent.mainFrame.document.body.scrollTop += 5
    }
    function _scrollup () {
    timer = setTimeout('_scrollup()',50)
    parent.mainFrame.document.body.scrollTop -= 5
    }

UP

DOWN

[/red]

Undestood? Create a folder and put each of these codes into the filenames specifyed, then run index.htm and you'll see what you want just done, as simple as it gets !

-- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --

secret_doom@hotmail.com
    www.batch.hpg.com.br

: Hi,
    :
    : It didnt work, or I made a mistake..dont know..
    :
    : anyway what I had in mind is something in this page:
    :
    : http://www.tgcom.it/ArticoloTgCom/articoli/articolo33020.shtml
    :
    : ..which works by mouseover.
    :
    : Re the banners, they r automatically put above the body, so I don't know if I can shift them underneath.
    :
    : 10x
    :
    : //networm32.netfirms.com
    :

• Hi again.
    I realized the following example looks more like the one in that page you linked:

[green]

function scroll_ilayer_up () {
    timer = setTimeout('scroll_ilayer_up()',50)
    box.document.body.scrollTop -= 5
    }
    function scroll_ilayer_down () {
    timer = setTimeout('scroll_ilayer_down()',50)
    box.document.body.scrollTop += 5
    }

This is a text

A very simple test

UP
    DOWN

BODY { FONT-FAMILY:Verdana ; FONT-SIZE:12px ; COLOR:#FFFFFF }

[/green]

That's it. You should notice a comment somewhere. It's saying that the filename "text.htm" refers to the file which contains the information contained in the little box.
    Run it and you'll understand...

-- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --

secret_doom@hotmail.com
    www.batch.hpg.com.br

• 10q, a very good example, that is what I wanted - very kind of you.

10x again