I need help! which is much better C or C++?

I have been studying programming languages. I have studied the basics of Pascal, Visual Basic, Java, C and C++. I decided to go advanced but I dont know what lang. I need a pros opinion on this. Im graduating Comp Sci, what do you think are the areas I should put my skills to? what lang can is the most widely used today in the industy? Thank you very much! I hope you can help me.

Comments

• : I have been studying programming languages. I have studied the basics of Pascal, Visual Basic, Java, C and C++. I decided to go advanced but I dont know what lang. I need a pros opinion on this. Im graduating Comp Sci, what do you think are the areas I should put my skills to? what lang can is the most widely used today in the industy? Thank you very much! I hope you can help me.

C++.

Pascal is a toy language designed to teach programming. For an expert disertion, read [italic]Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Language[/italic] by Brian Kernighan. (http://bit.csc.lsu.edu/tutorial/ten-commandments/bwk-on-pascal.html)

Visual Basic is a propietary language supported by one compiler on one operating system (and the language stinks anyway).

Java is a nice language, but limited in scope. It is not a compiled language, and can only run on platforms for which it's virtual machine and extensive runtime library have been ported.

C and C++ can be used to program any kind of application, for any device that has a CPU. C and C++ code make up your operating system and most of the applications on it (including Java and Visual Basic). C and C++ are in microwaves, radios, pacemakers, toys, satellites, robots, game consoles, you name it. C is an ancestor to C++, and a subset of it. C++ extends C to support modern programming techniques like generic programming and object oriented programming, without sacrificing the efficiency and down-to-the-metal power of C. C++ will try you more, and teach you more, than any of the other languages mentioned.

Cheers,
    Eric

• Who cares? Learn both. I write OO C++ when I feel like it and C when I don't =P. Technically C is probably used more (that's what I've been told be people in the industry as well), but it isn't that hard to continue down the path and pick up C++ knowledge as well. Alternatively, you can learn C++ first and go backwards.