free pascal

I decided to continue my development in computer programming, interrupted a several times :)
I programmed in tp and bp, then came c++. I just spent a several dozen hours programming in these languages, and now I'm eager to go on, but don't know how. My friend told pascal is the best basis to the most popular languages. So I downloaded free pascal, and some kind of ide too, and would like to know, whether it's ok, or bp7.0 or something is recommended. I think the low level programming I'll do in the first period is the same on all platforms, but it's better to ask around...

Comments

• : I decided to continue my development in computer programming, interrupted a several times :)
    : I programmed in tp and bp, then came c++. I just spent a several dozen hours programming in these languages, and now I'm eager to go on, but don't know how. My friend told pascal is the best basis to the most popular languages. So I downloaded free pascal, and some kind of ide too, and would like to know, whether it's ok, or bp7.0 or something is recommended. I think the low level programming I'll do in the first period is the same on all platforms, but it's better to ask around...
    :

For learning with I would recomment Turbo Pascal, but only because its IDE probably has the best help index Ive seen.

VPascal also has good help built in the IDE, but some stuff is missing (maybe they assumed it was common knowledge type stuff..I dunno). I would definately recommend this compiler, since its free and works very well. But that is just personal preference I know others prefer other compilers.

I havent used Free Pascal in awhile but last I saw it had some problems (my friend tells me it still does but I cant verify that), and didnt have an IDE of its own. But since its free I guess it would still be an alright choice.

• I'll try vpascal. Thanx for the help.

• Turbo is nice because its compiler and IDE both work pretty much perfectly. The problems are that you're stuck with real-mode and you don't seem to be able to compile to obj files.

FreePascal is definately the most impressive Pascal package I've seen, but it still has quite a few problems. It does have its own IDE, which has more functionality than any other I've seen, but it also isn't quite perfect. It will probably be the compiler of choice soon, but not yet.

I think I'll try VPascal too, since you recommend it. How about BP7? It's all over the TP help, but I've never actually seen it.

:
    : For learning with I would recomment Turbo Pascal, but only because its IDE probably has the best help index Ive seen.
    :
    : VPascal also has good help built in the IDE, but some stuff is missing (maybe they assumed it was common knowledge type stuff..I dunno). I would definately recommend this compiler, since its free and works very well. But that is just personal preference I know others prefer other compilers.
    :
    : I havent used Free Pascal in awhile but last I saw it had some problems (my friend tells me it still does but I cant verify that), and didnt have an IDE of its own. But since its free I guess it would still be an alright choice.
    :