Graphics using C....

Hello C & C++ programmers,

In studying how to program in C, there seems to be next to nothing when it comes to using C for graphics. All the books I've seen, teach how to use pointers, arrays and various forms of string and numerical manipulation. But I can find precious little on graphics. Is C not geared towards using graphics?

Thanks,

Brian.

Comments

• hello Brain,

no, C is not geared towards graphics in its standard form. standard C and C++ do not come with a graphics library. ANSI C/C++ is platform independant but graphics depend very much on your platform (OS + hardware + even your compiler).

for windows (only platform i use), if you are going to do 3D graphics, youve got DirectX and OpenGL. vector or simple static graphics youve got the Win32 GDI.

: Hello C & C++ programmers,
    :
    : In studying how to program in C, there seems to be next to nothing when it comes to using C for graphics. All the books I've seen, teach how to use pointers, arrays and various forms of string and numerical manipulation. But I can find precious little on graphics. Is C not geared towards using graphics?
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : Brian.
    :

• I'm pretty much going to say the same things as pingpong. C/C++ don't have any graphics built into them because they were meant to run on almost any system. Some people didn't even want text/file i/o to be included, since some systems (mostly embedded) don't have screens or hard drives.

Like he also said, you can use DirectX (in Windows) or OpenGL (in just about any OS) to get hardware accelerated graphics (2D and 3D). Just about any game that's been make in the last 5 years used one of those.