How much math?

I'm a real newbie to programming, and I was just curious, how much math is involved in programming? I'm sure it depends on what you are making, but on average, how much?

Comments

• : I'm a real newbie to programming, and I was just curious, how much math is involved in programming? I'm sure it depends on what you are making, but on average, how much?
    :

I do not think there is something harder then grade 5 math... Say, you want an offset to screen pixel in 320x200 mode:

OFFSET = (320 * Y) + X;

Scary, eh?!

• : : I'm a real newbie to programming, and I was just curious, how much math is involved in programming? I'm sure it depends on what you are making, but on average, how much?
    : :
    :
    : I do not think there is something harder then grade 5 math... Say, you want an offset to screen pixel in 320x200 mode:
    :
    : OFFSET = (320 * Y) + X;
    :
    : Scary, eh?!

Depends on what you want to do. Some programming doesn't even require fifth grade math. Some requires ultra hard-core math ( such as simulating fluid dynamics, or something like that). It all depends on [italic]what[/italic] you are programming.

If the question is being asked by a young person, who is interested in programming and wondering how much attention they need to pay in math class; that's a different story. Study your math! You may be able to get by without much, but knowing it will [italic]greatly[/italic] broaden the range of domains that you can apply your programming skills in.

Cheers,
    Eric

• Eric is right. Unless you're going to build a 3D engine, you will rarely use math other than mul's and add's. But do not stop studying, I'm sure there will be an overwhelming need for 3D programmers in the future...

• : I'm a real newbie to programming, and I was just curious, how much math is involved in programming? I'm sure it depends on what you are making, but on average, how much?
    :

For average programming, very little.

But, math is not just about numbers. It is also about understanding the world that we live in.

A programmer with a proficiency in algebra has a deeper understanding of systems - the way a body moves when it jumps, the way a business makes a profit, the way various hardware units relate to each other.

A programmer with a proficiency in geomety and trigonomety has a deeper understanding of space; including the space in core/disk memory, the pixel space on a console, the simulated space of a 3D graphics program.

A programmer with a proficiency in caluclus has a deeper understanding of how things relate to each other in space and time.

A programmer with a deeper understanding of the world we live in writes a program that is sophisticated, elegant, and powerful; wether or not it is highly mathematical.

A programmer with less understanding however, still writes a fair (average isn't bad) program. He uses the work of other math-type-programmers in his programs when he needs mathematical functionality. Such libraries of math functions available for most computer languages.

In short, any coursework in math is beneficial to a programmer.

• Well, I'm in grade 11, so 5th grade math won't be a problem. :) Thanks for your help, and I'll study my math!