MFM or RLL???

can anyone help me with my 34-pin hard drive? It is either MFM or RLL and I want to at least get it to work in DOS. It is 120MB and is in an old i386SX with a dead, CMOS battery and there is no BIOS setup, only ROM BASIC. I want to plug its controller card into a PII motherboard but it takes too much power! Please help!!!

Comments

• : can anyone help me with my 34-pin hard drive? It is either MFM or RLL and I want to at least get it to work in DOS. It is 120MB and is in an old i386SX with a dead, CMOS battery and there is no BIOS setup, only ROM BASIC. I want to plug its controller card into a PII motherboard but it takes too much power! Please help!!!
    :
    [blue]Hi Blip,

Don't take this the wrong way but why messing around with such an old HDD in this time?
    Aspecially when you are about to hook your self up with a PII PCB.
    It doesn't make any sence to me but maybe I'm wrong!
    Since you are using a PII PCB, why not just getting a 20 GB HDD for example.
    I think it will save you a whole lot of time and money, not to mention the trouble and pain you're getting your self into.

=> Basya Lanti <=[/blue]

• Just help me get it to work in DOS on my 386 because I've got INTERLNK and INTERSVR going on both computers...

• : Just help me get it to work in DOS on my 386 because I've got INTERLNK and INTERSVR going on both computers...
    :
    [blue]Hmm.. Let's see!

Ok, so you got a HDD controller, problably with lots of jumpers like these old cards mainly use to have back then (no plug 'n' play, using automatic hardware irq's (detection) like nowadays cards).

I suppose you could try getting some technical specs of either that 34-pin HDD and its controller.
    Just type the serial number(s) and/or their respective product types into any search engines and see what the search engine(s) will come up with.

You need such specs, containing for example the jumper settings of the controller and maybe also your old HDD.
    In some cases also the blue print of the hardware's electronics.

Second, you may also want to check for someone near you with an electronics background who perhaps can build you a simple communication interface that allows your old HDD to communicate with the more enhanced IDE of todays computers.
    If your familiar with electronics then I guess you could do it your self.

But to build such interface, you need to have information of the HDD and its (technical) pin discription, mostly layed out in some technical specs.
    I don't think this will be to hard to build.

I think if you also search for hardware sites then perhaps you will find some more info about your HDD and its controller(s).

I know this all is problably like a detour to get the results you want but that's the price to pay if one wants to make something old working on new harware of nowadays.
    If above actions doesn't help to some extent then I'm afraid I can't be more helpful on this one.

Anyhow, I hope you'll manage !

=> Basya Lanti <=[/blue]

• [b]UPDATE:[/b]

The hard drive's interface card is damaged in two places; one side has an oxidized contact and the other has an oxidized wire. I could probably get my brother to carefully make a solder bridge over the trouble areas and it might just work automatically!

Also, my 212MB IBM IDE HD has a "blackhole" somewhere on it and now I'd like to back it up to the 120 MB ESDI one if there's enough space for my important files. What happens is sometimes when you write to the 212 MB HD, things will rearrange and many files and FAT entries end up in the "blackhole". My entire ---HACKS directory did that and now only the directory entries and ONE file are left. Tunnel.exe disappeared from the ---BOBOS directory just today but luckily I have a backup of that. Some times some files are partway into the "blackhole" and when I try to access those affected parts, my computer spontaneously reboots! There's also one file in my DOSAMP directory named ZOMBIE.MP3 where half of it somewhere in the middle VERY SLOWLY loads, my hard drive is very noisy during the copy of that file to my RamDrive but it comes through completely undamaged.

Oh yeah, I have a HUGE collection of IDE docs from a couple of months ago but I'm going to use INTERLNK and INTERSVR...

'Til next time!