can there be some help

i m new to redhat linux
i use a win ME with 400 mhz n 4.3gb unpartioned disk
now i want to install linux
redhat 6.2 on the same disk without formatting or loosing my data , is there any way out
do i necessarily have to partition my disk
plz reply at the earliest

Comments

• : i m new to redhat linux
    : i use a win ME with 400 mhz n 4.3gb unpartioned disk
    : now i want to install linux
    : redhat 6.2 on the same disk without formatting or loosing my data , is there any way out
    : do i necessarily have to partition my disk
    : plz reply at the earliest
    :
    :

You can use partition magic to do the partitioning but I wouldn't rely on it. If you just plan on wanting to see linux - a bare bones linux package called zipslack is provided by slackware (www.slackware.com) - it installs on MS-DOS (fat16/fat32). You can make this as good as the full linux distribution but will be slower than the actual one. If you are paranoid or don't want to partition I suggest you go for zipslack.

• On all linux CD's there is a DOS program called FIPS that will do non-destructive partitioning. Just copy the program onto a bootdisk and reboot your comp using the bootdisk, when dos loads type fips and you will be given a bunch of questions. It can also back up your boot record so you can restore the original if something messes up. Defrag your drive first...

Hope this helps
    Ben

: i m new to redhat linux
    : redhat 6.2 on the same disk without formatting or loosing my data , is there any way out
    :
    :

• : On all linux CD's there is a DOS program called FIPS that will do non-destructive partitioning. Just copy the program onto a bootdisk and reboot your comp using the bootdisk, when dos loads type fips and you will be given a bunch of questions. It can also back up your boot record so you can restore the original if something messes up. Defrag your drive first...
    :
    : Hope this helps
    : Ben
    :
    : : i m new to redhat linux
    : : i use a win ME with 400 mhz n 4.3gb unpartioned disk
    : : now i want to install linux
    : : redhat 6.2 on the same disk without formatting or loosing my data , is there any way out
    : : do i necessarily have to partition my disk
    : : plz reply at the earliest
    : :
    :
    :

I couldn't get fips to work with Fat32 partitions. I tried to defrag and stand on my head but it gave me some error and freaked out. Maybe I had old version or something?

• Check the download site for the distribution you are using. I believe the latest version works with fat32. I may be wrong since I have never tried on a fat32 system, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that fips works with fat32...

: : On all linux CD's there is a DOS program called FIPS that will do non-destructive partitioning. Just copy the program onto a bootdisk and reboot your comp using the bootdisk, when dos loads type fips and you will be given a bunch of questions. It can also back up your boot record so you can restore the original if something messes up. Defrag your drive first...
    : : Hope this helps
    : : Ben
    : : : i m new to redhat linux
    : : : i use a win ME with 400 mhz n 4.3gb unpartioned disk
    : : : now i want to install linux
    : : : redhat 6.2 on the same disk without formatting or loosing my data , is there any way out
    : : : do i necessarily have to partition my disk
    : : : plz reply at the earliest
    : : :
    : : :
    :
    : I couldn't get fips to work with Fat32 partitions. I tried to defrag and stand on my head but it gave me some error and freaked out. Maybe I had old version or something?
    :

• : i m new to redhat linux
    :
    :

Yes, you have to make 3 Linux partition on your hard drive. I am new to Red Hat Linux also and that's what is required to run it.