Comparing ASP and CGI

I am writing a report in which I have to compare ASP and CGI, I am trying to put together some criteria for comparing these langues. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• I think an important point to consider is the fact that CGI is open to be programmed with mutiple languages, such as C/C++, Ada etc. Also, the commercial issues should be mentioned, i.e. the fact that you have to pay shitloads to run ASP on a server, whereas anyone can run/write CGI applications for free.

CGI tends to allow more access to the host system too, not being constricted to running within set server parameters, like ASP is.

Good luck!!

James

• Hi!

Maybe something along the lines of how ASP is actually a language - CGI is an interface that allows a web server to recieve and relay the output of a program that can be written in any compiled language (e.g. C++ or VB) or scripting/interpreted language (e.g. Perl).

ASP, however, isn't a form of CGI in my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, because what actually happens is that the program is written into the web page. The webpage is then processed by an add-on to the web server, and the ASP code interpreted to produce the output. PHP falls into the same category as ASP.

Hope this is of some help! If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

Jonathan

------------------------------------------
    Count downloads from your site for free!
    http://www.downloadcounter.com/

• : Maybe something along the lines of how ASP is actually a language - CGI is an interface that allows a web server to recieve and relay the output of a program that can be written in any compiled language (e.g. C++ or VB) or scripting/interpreted language (e.g. Perl).

ASP isn't a language - that's VBScript, JScript, ActivePerl, whatever scripting language takes your fancy. ASP is merely the environment in which your programs run.

ASP takes files that consist of script, in any Active Scripting language, intermingled with text (usually HTML). The script allows you to modify the text output; for example:

[code][size=2]<%
    [blue]If[/blue] UseHeaders [blue]Then[/blue]
    %>

This is a header!

<%
    [blue]Else[/blue]
    %>

No headers are allowed.

<%
    [blue]End If[/blue]
    %>[/size][/code]ASP runs in-process in the Web server. This makes it faster to start than CGI, which needs to load a whole new process. ASP easily outperforms CGI for most things.

ASP is available primarily on IIS, whereas CGI is more widespread - ASP [italic]is[/italic] available for others, but it's rare.
    --
    [italic][blue]Sunlight[/blue][/italic]