simple ?

I just started to learn assembly with an old book (kind of cool--it refers to DOS 2.0 as state of the art), and I want to know how I can make an executable using Tasm & Tlink for the following:

mov dl,1

mov ah,2

int 21

int 20

I have been using Debug so far, but now I need to use source files. I tried one, and it compiled fine, but when I tried to link it I got an error No program entry point--or something like that. I know it's something stupid, but could you please show me the right source code that will compile and link to an executable using Tasm & Tlink.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• : I just started to learn assembly with an old book (kind of cool--it refers to DOS 2.0 as state of the art), and I want to know how I can make an executable using Tasm & Tlink for the following:

: mov dl,1

: mov ah,2

: int 21

: int 20

: I have been using Debug so far, but now I need to use source files. I tried one, and it compiled fine, but when I tried to link it I got an error No program entry point--or something like that. I know it's something stupid, but could you please show me the right source code that will compile and link to an executable using Tasm & Tlink.

: Thanks a lot

It's not stupid:)

There are four things you need to specify before

you can compile and link your program:

What memory model to use

A stack segment(not needed for COM-files)

A code segment

A program entry and end point

Here's how your source would look:

MODEL small

STACK 256

CODESEG

Start:

mov dl,1

mov ah,2

int 21h

int 20h

END Start

• : I just started to learn assembly with an old book (kind of cool--it refers to DOS 2.0 as state of the art), and I want to know how I can make an executable using Tasm & Tlink for the following:

: int 21

: int 20

: I have been using Debug so far, but now I need to use source files. I tried one, and it compiled fine, but when I tried to link it I got an error No program entry point--or something like that. I know it's something stupid, but could you please show me the right source code that will compile and link to an executable using Tasm & Tlink.

: Thanks a lot

Well, this should work.

DOSSEG ;Don't think it's needed...

.MODEL TINY

.STACK 200h
    .DATA
    ;Put all the data stuff here like this:

;demo db "heeelllooo!",13,10

; db "How's it hangin'?$"

.CODE
    START:

mov dl,1

mov ah,2

int 21

int 20
    ;You need to leave control back to OS...

mov ax,4C00h

int 21h

END START

This will create a .exe-file.

Hope it helped,

// no_carrier

• Hey it did compile and link, but now the program crashes, while executing. Any ideas why?

: : mov dl,1

: : mov ah,2

: : int 21

: : int 20

: : I have been using Debug so far, but now I need to use source files. I tried one, and it compiled fine, but when I tried to link it I got an error No program entry point--or something like that. I know it's something stupid, but could you please show me the right source code that will compile and link to an executable using Tasm & Tlink.

: : Thanks a lot

: It's not stupid:)

: There are four things you need to specify before

: you can compile and link your program:

: What memory model to use

: A stack segment(not needed for COM-files)

: A code segment

: A program entry and end point

: Here's how your source would look:

: MODEL small

: STACK 256

: CODESEG

: Start:

: int 21h

: int 20h

: END Start