OpenGL and DirectX

What is OpenGL and directX really?
If anyone could point me to a site or something where
this is explained a little, I would appreciate it :)

Comments

• Its an API that is designed to interact directly with hardware (sound, video, modem, etc) so that your application runs fast. Microsoft.com/directX has tons of info (click on Developer).

• DirectX is Microsoft's proprientary standard for handling almost all things multimedia (2D and 3D graphics, sound, input...) The main problems with DirectX are that it is a [b]windows only[/b] API and it takes lots of code to do the seemingly simplest things.
    OpenGL, on the other hand, is sgi's open graphics language (wow, I wonder if thats what it stands for?) OpenGL code can very easily be ported to and from almost any platform. Also, unlike DirectX, superfluous code isnt required. OpenGL programs also tend to run faster than their DirectX counterparts. The only downside in comparison with DirectX is that while DirectX deals with all aspects of multimedia development, OpenGL is a graphics-only API.

OpenGL's website ---> www.opengl.org
    DirectX' website ---> www.microsoft.com/directx

----
    A figure divine
    Her radiance shadows sun
    Like wind is her song

• : it is a [b]windows only[/b] API

Which is not a pressing problem, since 95% of machines run it.

: Also, unlike DirectX, superfluous code isnt required.

Such as...? If you compare a DirectX 8 app and an OpenGL app with the same functionality, I think you'd find little difference in size.

: OpenGL programs also tend to run faster than their DirectX counterparts.

I've seen precious little evidence to support this claim. iD's games may be quick, but that's not to say they wouldn't be equally quick if they were written for DirectX.

: The only downside in comparison with DirectX is that while DirectX deals with all aspects of multimedia development, OpenGL is a graphics-only API.

Indeed, whatever you use for graphics, on Windows you will eventually use DirectX for input, sound, music and networking.
    --
    [italic][blue]Sunlight[/blue][/italic]