Extreme Newbie...with VC++

I started some basic C++ about a year ago, and I am pretty good at it. I haven't started windows programming or anything yet. I want to know the basics to making graphics. I have seen Denthor's tutorial, but it doesn't make much sense. Do you have to use a separate graphics library? I wouldn't think so, but all the tutorials I have seen emphasize 'Allegro' or 'JLib' or whatever. I simply want to know how to change the screen mode and put a pixel on the screen.

Thank you for any help,
-Drake

Comments

• : I started some basic C++ about a year ago, and I am pretty good at it. I haven't started windows programming or anything yet. I want to know the basics to making graphics. I have seen Denthor's tutorial, but it doesn't make much sense. Do you have to use a separate graphics library? I wouldn't think so, but all the tutorials I have seen emphasize 'Allegro' or 'JLib' or whatever. I simply want to know how to change the screen mode and put a pixel on the screen.
    :
    : Thank you for any help,
    : -Drake
    :

if you want to do this in dos, check out http://members.xoom.com/nthom/f.htm for some simple explanations of the basics. if you want to do it with VC++, id recommend getting a book :) there may be some good sites out there but i havnt found them yet.

• : if you want to do this in dos, check out http://members.xoom.com/nthom/f.htm for some simple explanations of the basics. if you want to do it with VC++, id recommend getting a book :) there may be some good sites out there but i havnt found them yet.
    :

Because I have VC++6, that site doesn't help me any. If I use any of the code, I get errors. I have heard terms like 'gdi' and stuff, so what are they? I guess I'll have to buy a book like Game Programming for Dummies, but I'm afraid that it will be too advanced...

• :
    : : if you want to do this in dos, check out http://members.xoom.com/nthom/f.htm for some simple explanations of the basics. if you want to do it with VC++, id recommend getting a book :) there may be some good sites out there but i havnt found them yet.
    : :
    :
    : Because I have VC++6, that site doesn't help me any. If I use any of the code, I get errors. I have heard terms like 'gdi' and stuff, so what are they? I guess I'll have to buy a book like Game Programming for Dummies, but I'm afraid that it will be too advanced...
    :

i bought two VC++ books, one was specific to VC++ (cant remember its name i think it was a bible) and the other was Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre Lamoth which was much easier to understand and far more interesting.

• : :
    : : : if you want to do this in dos, check out http://members.xoom.com/nthom/f.htm for some simple explanations of the basics. if you want to do it with VC++, id recommend getting a book :) there may be some good sites out there but i havnt found them yet.
    : : :
    : : Because I have VC++6, that site doesn't help me any. If I use any of the code, I get errors. I have heard terms like 'gdi' and stuff, so what are they? I guess I'll have to buy a book like Game Programming for Dummies, but I'm afraid that it will be too advanced...
    :
    : i bought two VC++ books, one was specific to VC++ (cant remember its name i think it was a bible) and the other was Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre Lamoth which was much easier to understand and far more interesting.
    :

Yes, I have seen the latter, but considering I have no skills in graphics or even windows programming, would I still be able to understand the book? If so, then I will probably buy it.
    thanks

• : : :
    : : : : if you want to do this in dos, check out http://members.xoom.com/nthom/f.htm for some simple explanations of the basics. if you want to do it with VC++, id recommend getting a book :) there may be some good sites out there but i havnt found them yet.
    : : : :
    : : : Because I have VC++6, that site doesn't help me any. If I use any of the code, I get errors. I have heard terms like 'gdi' and stuff, so what are they? I guess I'll have to buy a book like Game Programming for Dummies, but I'm afraid that it will be too advanced...
    : : i bought two VC++ books, one was specific to VC++ (cant remember its name i think it was a bible) and the other was Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre Lamoth which was much easier to understand and far more interesting.
    :
    :
    : Yes, I have seen the latter, but considering I have no skills in graphics or even windows programming, would I still be able to understand the book? If so, then I will probably buy it.
    : thanks
    :
    :

i dont have it here to refresh my memory, but im pretty sure its good for beginners. i used it to as my first exposure to VC++. im sure theres others out there who have it too, ive changed the subject to try and attract their comments.

• : I started some basic C++ about a year ago, and I am pretty good at it. I haven't started windows programming or anything yet. I want to know the basics to making graphics. I have seen Denthor's tutorial, but it doesn't make much sense. Do you have to use a separate graphics library? I wouldn't think so, but all the tutorials I have seen emphasize 'Allegro' or 'JLib' or whatever. I simply want to know how to change the screen mode and put a pixel on the screen.
    :
    : Thank you for any help,
    : -Drake
    : Check out www.gamedev.net they havea great graphic sectio

www.cexplorer.f2s.com