Translucency in Win9X/NT/ME/2K...

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
I need to figure out how to use a single specific color for translucency. I have read some articles on translucency, but they require you to use two images for the translucent effect. I know that in Doom, a bluish-green color was used on images where a translucent effect was needed. How could I use solid black (R0, G0, B0) for translucency in my game? I am unfamiliar with palettes (PAL files in Doom), but I am sure that it had something to do with the translucent effects. Thanks to anybody who can offer me some assistance with this.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

Comments

• : I need to figure out how to use a single specific color for translucency.

Are we talking about 'translucency', which is transparency with diffusion (and not trivial), or 'transparency'?

If you mean transparency, the technique you describe is called 'colour keying', and how you do it depends on your platform, of course. In Windows GDI, use MaskBlt (you can generate the mask from a BitBlt call); in DirectDraw, colour keying is built-in.
    --
    [italic][blue]Sunlight[/blue][/italic]

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Thanks Sunlight, you've helped me once again. I'll look up MaskBlt() in a few minutes. Now for helping me... *goes to get some cookies*
    =P
    Thanks

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]