Getting Started - Dreamcast

Hey ppl,

Im a recent comp sci, grad so i know some programming .. mostly in C and i have done some Assembly language with registers and stuff. I was scrolling through the message board and found some mesages related to the questions im asking, but if you dont mind, could you re-answer them on this message string.

Now the questions i have are as follows:

1. what is the required hardware for developing games for the dreamcast, and the setup?

2. what is the software required, if any?

3. what programming language is used?

4. do any of you have a preference on the development platform?

5. Any other iteresting stuff would be good too.

thanks

dave

Comments

• : Hey ppl,
    :
    : Im a recent comp sci, grad so i know some programming .. mostly in C and i have done some Assembly language with registers and stuff. I was scrolling through the message board and found some mesages related to the questions im asking, but if you dont mind, could you re-answer them on this message string.
    :
    : Now the questions i have are as follows:
    :
    : 1. what is the required hardware for developing games for the dreamcast, and the setup?

A sega Dreamcast(preferably the 2000 models, since they can boot normal CD's), a Connection from the DC to the PC(Coders cable [http://www.lik-sang.com ], and a CD burner

: 2. what is the software required, if any?

you would need gcc that crosscompiles to Sh4/ARM executable.
    and Dreamcast Dev libraries(the Free ones, not Sega's).

: 3. what programming language is used?

C

: 4. do any of you have a preference on the development platform?
    Most people say Linux. since gcc is already on it.

: 5. Any other iteresting stuff would be good too.
    :
    :
    : thanks
    :
    : dave
    :