Is there a way to make arrays larger than conventional memory allots?

I'm reading a text file in from a specific format and trying to load it into arrays in memory but it is larger than I have conventional memory (as far as I can tell) so I am getting errors telling me that I'm out of memory on REDIM statements. I'm using the REDIM to optimize memory usage since the number of dim is dynamic as I read the info in. I don't want to use VARSEG and poke statements or anything crazy like that but I need something that QB4.5 can use as easily as Arrays. Thanx for the help folks.

Michael
US Marine Corps

Comments

• : I'm reading a text file in from a specific format and trying to load it into arrays in memory but it is larger than I have conventional memory (as far as I can tell) so I am getting errors telling me that I'm out of memory on REDIM statements. I'm using the REDIM to optimize memory usage since the number of dim is dynamic as I read the info in. I don't want to use VARSEG and poke statements or anything crazy like that but I need something that QB4.5 can use as easily as Arrays. Thanx for the help folks.
    :
    : Michael
    : US Marine Corps
    :
    When you invoke QB, using the /AH switch will allow you to make "huge arrays". You have to put '$Dynamic in the program (not $Dymanic - very important:) This will allow you to create arrays over 64k (tho still limited by available memory). In 7.1, there is also this limitation: dimensions of arrays over 128k must fall on even powers of 2.
    Anything bigger that that, and you'll have to break it up into seperate modules.