HOW TO CREATE WATER THAT REFLECTS

I AM TOTALLY NEW TO 3D GRAPHICS, MODELING AND
ANIMATION AND WOULD LIKE TO LEARN HOW TO
CREATE SCENES THAT HAVE WATER SURFACES THAT
REFLECT THE SUROUNDING SCENE, ALSO A METAL
SURFACE SUCH AS CHROME THAT REFLECTS.PLEASE
POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.THANK YOU.

Comments

• : I AM TOTALLY NEW TO 3D GRAPHICS, MODELING AND
    : ANIMATION AND WOULD LIKE TO LEARN HOW TO
    : CREATE SCENES THAT HAVE WATER SURFACES THAT
    : REFLECT THE SUROUNDING SCENE, ALSO A METAL
    : SURFACE SUCH AS CHROME THAT REFLECTS.PLEASE
    : POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.THANK YOU.
    :

Reflective water! Before doing something this challenging, look for articles and tutorials on simple 3-D graphics. The math for perspective, rotation, surface normals etc. is important. For practive, try displaying a 3D model as a wireframe, shouldn't be too hard.

Once you are familiar with the math look at "backwards-ray tracing". Ray-tracing is a computationally intensive but very high quality method to render 3D dimensional sences (such as reflective water and metal), the idea is to trace several light rays backwards from the screen into the sence reflecting and refracting for every pixel. Ray-tracing is difficult to work out, dont give up too quickly.

-Pascal

• : : I AM TOTALLY NEW TO 3D GRAPHICS, MODELING AND
    : : ANIMATION AND WOULD LIKE TO LEARN HOW TO
    : : CREATE SCENES THAT HAVE WATER SURFACES THAT
    : : REFLECT THE SUROUNDING SCENE, ALSO A METAL
    : : SURFACE SUCH AS CHROME THAT REFLECTS.PLEASE
    : : POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.THANK YOU.
    : :
    :
    : Reflective water! Before doing something this challenging, look for articles and tutorials on simple 3-D graphics. The math for perspective, rotation, surface normals etc. is important. For practive, try displaying a 3D model as a wireframe, shouldn't be too hard.
    :
    : Once you are familiar with the math look at "backwards-ray tracing". Ray-tracing is a computationally intensive but very high quality method to render 3D dimensional sences (such as reflective water and metal), the idea is to trace several light rays backwards from the screen into the sence reflecting and refracting for every pixel. Ray-tracing is difficult to work out, dont give up too quickly.
    :
    : -Pascal
    :
    :
    :
    Or you could do environment mapping, which is a fast and damn good way to do it. especially using opengl.

• shortly if you want to reflect something,
    in 3D Studio MAX 1+; you have to select Reflection from Material Editor and select a map or define a new texture like water, wood(Which comes with the program).