Direct X or OpenGL?????? Which one should i start with

Im Just starting out , and I want to know which one I should start with and how much it will cost!!!!!!

Im really looking for the easiest one off the two so i can get started.

Thank you Ernie

Comments

• They are both free. You can get OpenGL from opengl.org and DirectX from microsoft.com, just look for it.

OpenGL is easier if you're doing 3D stuff, DirectX is easier for 2D stuff (in general). They are both equally powerful in the graphics field, but DirectX is also useful for when you need to use Direct Input, Sound, Play, et cetera.

• : Im Just starting out , and I want to know which one I should start with and how much it will cost!!!!!!
    :
    : Im really looking for the easiest one off the two so i can get started.
    :
    : Thank you Ernie
    :

I'd say start with Direct X... It's free.. And it can do mare than graphics... sound, input... etc.. However... when you getinto Heavy Heavy 3D programming... you then should go check out Open GL... Open GL is good for 3D but so is Direct X

URL:http://www.wicketware.com

• Are they a set of headers? People say they program sound and graphics in C++, obviously they are not drawing in code so are they just positioning existing pictures with code? and is sound simmilar? (tell midi's when to play etc) I'm going to find some books on the subject that will give me more info, but could you please give me a basic understaning of what exctly is being done?
    thx

: Im Just starting out , and I want to know which one I should start with and how much it will cost!!!!!!
    :
    : Im really looking for the easiest one off the two so i can get started.
    :
    : Thank you Ernie
    :

• OpenGL and DirectX are both composed of a set of (or in the case of OpenGL, one) dll file. You get the lib and header files to make it so that your program can understand how to interact with the imported dll's.

The reason the they can both do graphics as fast as they do is because they allow your video card to do them. If your CPU doesn't have to put out the time to draw stuff, then your game has a lot more time for other things, and (in other words) runs faster.

Sound is more complex. The sound card has a buffer, this buffer is just the next set of sound (up to about 5-10 seconds of sound) that it must play. You feed the card parts of the sound file that you want it to play, and it mixes each of those buffers into the buffer that will play next. That is why if your computer locks up the sound will repeat itself, the sound card is not getting any information to replace the buffer with.

• j/k but thanks, I apreciate it.
    Batman

: OpenGL and DirectX are both composed of a set of (or in the case of OpenGL, one) dll file. You get the lib and header files to make it so that your program can understand how to interact with the imported dll's.
    :
    : The reason the they can both do graphics as fast as they do is because they allow your video card to do them. If your CPU doesn't have to put out the time to draw stuff, then your game has a lot more time for other things, and (in other words) runs faster.
    :
    : Sound is more complex. The sound card has a buffer, this buffer is just the next set of sound (up to about 5-10 seconds of sound) that it must play. You feed the card parts of the sound file that you want it to play, and it mixes each of those buffers into the buffer that will play next. That is why if your computer locks up the sound will repeat itself, the sound card is not getting any information to replace the buffer with.
    :

• I think, in my opinion its best to program directly in "c/c++" using low level graphics(not BGI), this lets you understand the basics of what is being done. Although openGL, directX are good for game programming I still think a good knowledge of how the video modes are called and how pixels are put on screen etc.

Well this is my opinion only.

: They are both free. You can get OpenGL from opengl.org and DirectX from microsoft.com, just look for it.
    :
    : OpenGL is easier if you're doing 3D stuff, DirectX is easier for 2D stuff (in general). They are both equally powerful in the graphics field, but DirectX is also useful for when you need to use Direct Input, Sound, Play, et cetera.
    :
    :

• Of course, for the most part I agree with you. The more low level information you know the better off you are in most cases. But, no matter how good you are at coding you'll never beat out a good video card interface (through the API) for speed ;).