Phone stuff

Hi! Ok, I want to make something to querry the phone line and tell how many people are on the phone... Then I would like it to do a trace on all the people.. Can i do this using my modem with some asm or do i need to hardwire something? If i can do this using my modem... Any ideas on what i would try to do....

~Nathan

Comments

• : Hi! Ok, I want to make something to querry the phone line and tell how many people are on the phone... Then I would like it to do a trace on all the people.. Can i do this using my modem with some asm or do i need to hardwire something? If i can do this using my modem... Any ideas on what i would try to do....
    :
    : ~Nathan
    :

Yo! Nathan! -

BIG PROJECT!

There are three ways I can think of that you might do it. The first is called "Time Domain Reflectometry" (TDR). Hire an electronics engineer to design a TDR device that would:

1) Send a short duration electrical pulse down the phone line.

2) Collect the pulses, their modified shapes, and their time delays as they are reflected back to the device from the phones and other devices that are connected to the phone line.

3) Store this data as a "footprint" of the telephone line.

4) Repeat steps 1 through 3 for each condition the phone line could be in: No phones in use, phone #1 in use, phone 1 and 2, phone 2 and 3, phone 1 and 4, phone 1 and 2 and 3, etc. etc.

5) Once the setup is complete, start sending pulses down the phone line at regular intervals, collect the data, compare it to the recorded "footprints" and display the results on your computer.

Note that in order for this system to work, you will have to convince the phone company to not disconnect your line because of all the strange electrical stuff going on. You will also have to convince the users of the other phones (and the people they a talking to) to ignore the loud clicking noises.

The second way I can think of is more practical and much simpler. And I'm sure, illegal. Simply place a bug in each of the phones/devices connected to the line. Put each bug on a different frequency. Use a short-wave scanner to scan the frequencies of the different bugs. Simple, huh!

retro