What's the deal with UNIX?

I am a Windows user, but I am wondering what's the deal with UNIX? What is it good for? What kind of people use it? Does it have anything to do with LINUX? What are some reasons I might switch to LINUX or use UNIX?

Comments

• : I am a Windows user, but I am wondering what's the deal with UNIX? What is it good for? What kind of people use it? Does it have anything to do with LINUX? What are some reasons I might switch to LINUX or use UNIX?
    :
    You know those nice blue screens you always get. You (almost) wont get that with Linux =)

• Linux is a multiuser and multitasking Freeware UNIXTM operating system, available for many platforms. PCs with x86 processors (Intel, AMD, Cyrix) from 386 on are the most commonly used platforms.

Linux corresponds largely to the POSIX standard and interacts well with existing operating systems from MicrosoftTM, NovellTM and Apple as well as the Internet.

The name Linux refers only to the operating system kernel, but it is often used to describe the complete system, including the applications. The name is derived from the inventor of the system, Linus Torvalds.

Linux Distinctions
    One remarkable feature of Linux is certainly its price - the system, as such, is free, and can be copied and distributed without restrictions. Conveniently prepared versions, such as our SuSE Linux, can be purchased for very little money. The biggest advantage of Linux, however, is the free availability of its source code.

Existing systems often cause exasperated developers to say "We will just have to live with that." Linux enables them to say "We can change that." When a bug becomes known, a patch is often available within days. The last years have shown how important this really is. It is entirely due to this unlimited access to the source code that such a large number of interested, competent and expert users all over the world contribute actively to developing Linux, bringing it to the level at which it stands today.

This freedom also means that users are not tied to one supplier when it comes to service and support. On the contrary - they can pick the most attractive company on the market.

Extensive Linux environments such as SuSE Linux open up the advantages of Linux to a broader audience. SuSE Linux has been prepared in such a way that even less experienced users and newcomers to UNIXTM can cope with the installation. Furthermore, the package contains many additional utilities, programs and demos. SuSE also supply an extensive manual which should provide the answers to all queries, be they from novices or experienced users. And as a special service, they also grant every customer free 60-day installation support by fax or email.

root.