How do you create unique & variable file names?

I need to create random unique file names, I plan to use a value returned from a time function
to capture a value to use to name new files. My main problem is in opening a new output file stream
using a variable.

time_t timer;
string filename ;

timer = time(NULL);

filename = reinterpret_cast(timer) ;
filename.append( ".dat" );
ofstream outf ( filename , ios::out);

I know there are a number of reasons this code won't work, it's just to give you
an idea of what I want to do. The line I'm actually trying to solve is:
"ofstream outf (filename, ios::out);"
In all the examples I've found the 'filename' is a constant text value surrounded by
double quote marks. I would like to be able to use a variable there so it can be set to
the time value returned when the file was created.

Is this even possible? If not could you suggest an alternative?

Comments

• : I need to create random unique file names, I plan to use a value returned from a time function
    : to capture a value to use to name new files. My main problem is in opening a new output file stream
    : using a variable.
    :
    : time_t timer;
    : string filename ;
    :
    : timer = time(NULL);
    :
    : filename = reinterpret_cast(timer) ;
    : filename.append( ".dat" );
    : ofstream outf ( filename , ios::out);
    :
    : I know there are a number of reasons this code won't work, it's just to give you
    : an idea of what I want to do. The line I'm actually trying to solve is:
    : "ofstream outf (filename, ios::out);"
    : In all the examples I've found the 'filename' is a constant text value surrounded by
    : double quote marks. I would like to be able to use a variable there so it can be set to
    : the time value returned when the file was created.
    :
    : Is this even possible? If not could you suggest an alternative?
    :

There are some basic C functions called 'tmpnam' or '_tempnam' defined in stdio.h that may be what you are looking for. Try and see what you can find.