How to check whether an array element (position) is empty...

Hey there!,
How would I go about and what would be the condition to check whether an array position is empty in C. Would I compare with another string using strcmp, or are empty array elements == NULL??
I was told that unitialised Int arrays have their values as 0, but what would be the value of a char array? And how would I check whether it is empty so I can store my required string in it?
Thanks for any solution!
Colonel Mustard (who did it in the study)

Comments

• : Hey there!,
    : How would I go about and what would be the condition to check whether an array position is empty in C. Would I compare with another string using strcmp, or are empty array elements == NULL??
    : I was told that unitialised Int arrays have their values as 0, but what would be the value of a char array? And how would I check whether it is empty so I can store my required string in it?
    : Thanks for any solution!
    : Colonel Mustard (who did it in the study)
    :
    :
    Depending on your complier, VARIABLES ARE NOT INITIALIZED IN C. Therefore, you would have to declare the array:

int my_array[50];

And then initalize it yourself:

int element;
    for (element = 0; element <= 50; element++)
    my_array[element] = NULL;

Then you could do your little thing with comparing it to NULL.

For char arrays, the idea is the same. Unlike BASIC, C treats char as numbers. As you might know, each letter has a value that corresponds to it called the ASCII code. You can do the same thing as above, just declare the array as a char type instead.

char my_array[50]; //Yeah, I happen to like the number 50.

And this may be more information than you want, but because C does not initalize varaibles, the value in it is the value left in memory from some other program.