[b][u]Hi, My name is Steven.[/u]
This is an assignment, but in all honesty these questions would actually help me a lot as I am looking to join the professional programming world. I want to be the best I can be and I need your help!
If you are a working or recently working programmer, could you please answer these 9 questions? Think of it as I am interning under you and I asked you these questions at work.
I don't need any personal information but it would help my paper's legitimacy, and you can skip any questions you want to.[/b]
1. I have heard that school doesn't teach all the necessary skills needed to make it in the professional programming world. What would you recommend a student does to supplement his learning before starting a first job?
2. Would you recommend mastering one language, or generalizing with many?
3. What kind of communication skills are necessary for your position? Do you write memos a lot? Do you do most of your communication face to face or through writing?
4. Do you find yourself working in teams more than alone? Which do you prefer?
5. Do you get to choose your own schedule? What hours have you found to be best for you?
6. What would you recommend to be the best point of entry into the software development world for someone looking for an internship?
7. Building a reputation is important in this field. Would you recommend building my reputation through work on open source projects?
8. I know of three major professional organizations: AITP, IEEE, and ACM. Do you have any affiliation with any of these groups? Would you recommend I join one?
9. How do you feel software pirating effects you as a programmer?
My goal is to someday work on Android or something similar, I've been rooting/flashing/modding for a few years now and I love it.
If someone finds kindness enough in their hearts to help me I might be inclined to paypal you a donation!!!!!
Thanks in advance, Steven