Building a microcontroller, bread board style

I'm trying to build a microcontroller from an sx28 chip from scenic.. can anyone lead me in the

right direction on BUILDING that. I don't want to

purchase a microcontroller I want to build one on

a bread board.. I was wondering if anyone was doing this also??... pictures of the whole thing

would be nice....

--grenadeboy

Comments

• : I'm trying to build a microcontroller from an sx28 chip from scenic.. can anyone lead me in the

: right direction on BUILDING that. I don't want to

: purchase a microcontroller I want to build one on

: a bread board.. I was wondering if anyone was doing this also??... pictures of the whole thing

: would be nice....

:

:

:

: --grenadeboy

:

Hi gboy -

You have chosen an ambitious project. Even making a simple controller from scratch can be a long-term project. From what I see on Scenix's site, the SX-28 series high performance controllers would require a careful pcb design due to their high clock / bus speeds. I am afraid you will have trouble trying to get it running using breadboard techniques.

I would suggest that you try a more modest design as a first project. A simple m'controller chip such as a Motorola HC68HC series:

http://ebus.mot-sps.com/ProdCat/sg/0,1251,M98635,00.html

because:

1) the relatively slow clock and bus speeds make breadboard design practical.

2) they are cheap - you won't blow your wad on the hardware and have nothing left for software developement -

3) much cheap/free software is available on the 'net

4) cross assemblers and cross compilers are easily available (also cheap/free) so you can write your own software on your PC.

Just some ideas for ya.

Enjoy!

Al