Where should I start

Hi Guys, I am just opening the door to learning how to program, and I thought this would be a good place to start. My first question is, what would be the best book for a guy who has no programming experience what so ever, and wants to learn Java?

I build my own web sites, but I never learned to program, and there is this one site called "DivorceLawyer DOT COM that I really like the way their server looks at the viewers IP address and then customizes the page for that region. I want to learn how to build and adjust this program for my own sites for different things.

So I would need a book that teaches me the fundamentals of programming and then how to build out a program like this. Also, how long do you think it would take the average person with HTML code writing skills to figure out basic Java.

Thanks guys, this is my first step, and I hope you can share a little experience to help me avoid some pit falls.

Don