VB to C++ Transition

Hi, I've recently started an effort to learn C/C++ and my background includes VB, Sql/MySql, and some PHP.

I have a few questions but first I'll give my goal. I want to make games. Specifically, 3d games.

I've been using Xoax.net tutorials for the console programming but I'm curious how you make use of things like DirectX in C++ and where I might find some resources that deal with this specifically.

The whole environment is foreign to me, I'm guessing it's because of how rooted I am in VB.

Comments

• : Hi, I've recently started an effort to learn C/C++ and my background
    : includes VB, Sql/MySql, and some PHP.
    :
    : I have a few questions but first I'll give my goal. I want to make
    : games. Specifically, 3d games.
    :
    : I've been using Xoax.net tutorials for the console programming but
    : I'm curious how you make use of things like DirectX in C++ and where
    : I might find some resources that deal with this specifically.
    :
    : The whole environment is foreign to me, I'm guessing it's because of
    : how rooted I am in VB.
    :

Yeah, I think if you know some PHP, then good, since C syntax is pretty similar to PHP syntax. And for game development, you'd need to know DirectX for sure.

I'm Brad Wang...
    .NET Freelancer from China
    MSN: brad_wang_cn@hotmail.com

• How much experience do you have with C++? If you are still new, I would highly recommend learning the language first before even attempting 2d game development. (Game development is hard)

If you already have basic 2d game dev experience and want to get into 3d, DirectX or OpenGL should be next. If you don't have 2d game dev experience, I highly recommend starting there first before getting into 3d.

Because you mentioned that you want to get into DirectX, you need to first have a basic knowledge of the Win32 API (Search for the Forgers Win32 API tutorial for a good intro to the Win32 API)

After words, just pick up a DirectX tutorial (Most Win32 compliant compilers come with the PSDK for it) and dive in :)

www.gamedev.net has all the info you need to get started ;)
    [hr][size=1][leftbr].:EvolutionEngine[rightbr][leftbr].:MicroOS Operating System[rightbr][leftbr][link=http://www.brokenthorn.com]Website :: OS Development Series[rightbr][/link][/size]