Nickeled and dimed.

OK. This is a totally off-topic thread that has absolutely nothing to do with programming or computers, but some of you might find it helpful.

There's a commercial running on my local TV channels for a garage that specializes in putting rebuilt engines in cars. "Don't replace your car," the ad says, "replace your engine." Sounds good. Instead of spending $20,000 for a new car, just spend $4,000 for a new engine (installed).

Well, as a guy who has tried this strategy twice in his lifetime I'm here to report that this idea is not as good as it sounds at first. The first time I tried this I did all the work myself, except for the actual rebuilding of the engine (I bought a new engine for $600). The second time I had a garage do it (not the above advertiser) for $3500.

The fly in the ointment is that a "new engine" consists of only the block and the head, leaving everything else to go wrong. And go wrong they do: carburetor, starter, alternator, exhaust head, shocks, leaf springs, ball joints, etc. Once the new engine is in place you start getting nickeled and dimed to death with all the other stuff. I use nickel and dime in the Las Vegas sense: a dime is $100 and a nickel is $500.

So my advice is to not replace your engine. If you can't afford a new car get the best used one you can and repair as necessary. In the long run it will cost you less.

OK. Standard disclaimer. The above is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Actor

Comments

• : Your mileage may vary.
    :
    Quite literally, in this case... ;-)

Jonathan
    ###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");