Writing a plugin framework for Nios II

Hi all,

I would like to develop an application for a Nios II core that will allow me to dynamically load and link to a variety of plugin modules. The host application will have no knowledge of what plugins it will have access to until run-time. The plugins will however share a simple common interface allowing the plugin to be called through its interface, passing it a pointer, and perhaps returning a pointer. The ability to implement some kind of call-back would be a bonus!

I have done this kind of thing in C#, where it is quite a bit easier!! But I am a bit out of my depth here.

At the core of it I want to load a compiled class into memory, and create a pointer to it, kowing that it has the same interface as a virtual class in my application. My application will provide an XML postal service to all the plugins loaded.

I don't know quite where to start, and am missing some key points of c++ and how it is compiled:

What does a pointer to a class actually point to?
How do I compile a simgle class in the NIOS IDE that I can dynamically load?
Do I need a third party RTOS?
Can what I am trying to do, be done?

Thanks

James

Comments

• :
    : What does a pointer to a class actually point to?
    :

I'm affraid this is the only question I can answer.

The pointer to a class points to a structure in memory, starting with a vtable (virtual table - an array of function pointers to the appropriate virtual function for the instance), and then the member data in a certain order (base classes first, derived class members last).

For a bit of extra information on virtual pointers, here's an example (Visual C++ .NET):
    [code]
    class A
    {
    private:
    int mNumber;

public:
    A(int number)
    { mNumber = number; }

virtual void printNumber()
    {
    Console::WriteLine( mNumber );
    }
    };

class B : public A
    {
    private:
    int mBNumber;

public:
    B(int number) : A(number + 1)
    {
    mBNumber = number;
    }

virtual void printNumber()
    {
    Console::WriteLine(mBNumber);
    }
    };

int main(array ^args)
    {
    A a(0);
    B b(0);
    A* pA; B* pB;

a.printNumber();
    (pA = &a)->printNumber();

b.printNumber();
    (pB = &b)->printNumber();
    (pA = &b)->printNumber();
    pA->A::printNumber();

Console::Read();
    return 0;
    }
    [/code]
    The output result is:
    [code]
    [/code]
    So while you have that [italic]b[/italic]'s A::mNumber is 1, pA->printNumber() will look up the entry in the vtable, and find an address that points to B::printNumber().

Best Regards,
    Richard

The way I see it... Well, it's all pretty blurry