open() file as binary - how???

Hello everybody

I'm porting a c/c++ applications from windows to linux, and I'm having problems with the open() function. I opened the files as binary in windows, but in linux I cannot do that. The O_BINARY flag does not exist...

When I started checking out why, I found a nice bit of information on the fopen() function that rocked my world...

(...)
The mode string can also include the letter ``b'' either as a last character or as a character between the characters in any of the two-character strings described above. This is strictly for compatibility with C89 and has no effect; the ``b'' is ignored on all POSIX conforming systems, including Linux.
(...)

I have a quite large application and I'm having some problems because the files are opened as text and the read fails sometimes (other times it dosn't . don't know why )

Any ideas how I can give this problem a twist?

well, thanks for all the help I hope is coming my way

Andr

Comments

• : Hello everybody
    :
    : I'm porting a c/c++ applications from windows to linux, and I'm
    : having problems with the open() function. I opened the files as
    : binary in windows, but in linux I cannot do that. The O_BINARY flag
    : does not exist...
    :
    : When I started checking out why, I found a nice bit of information
    : on the fopen() function that rocked my world...
    :
    : (...)
    : The mode string can also include the letter ``b'' either as a last
    : character or as a character between the characters in any of the
    : two-character strings described above. This is strictly for
    : compatibility with C89 and has no effect; the ``b'' is ignored on
    : all POSIX conforming systems, including Linux.
    : (...)

The 'b' is ignored because all reads and writes are binary.
    There is no text-mode. Neither read() nor fread() do any special processing of
    or
    characters.

:
    : I have a quite large application and I'm having some problems
    : because the files are opened as text and the read fails sometimes
    : (other times it dosn't . don't know why )
    :
    : Any ideas how I can give this problem a twist?

There is no text-mode. Neither open() nor fopen() do any special processing of
    or
    characters. In a POSIX world, files are not opened as text.
    It's possible that some of the processing you are doing with the data [italic]is[/italic] treating control-characters specially, which may cause you a problem, but the problem you say is with read().

If read() is failing, it is [italic]not[/italic] because of any text-mode setting - it must be for some other reason.

Without seeing your code, it's difficult to offer much more help, but what does errno tell you?

Try calling [bold]strerror(errno[/bold]) after the failure to see what caused the error.