Wait for Event

Hi, im developing a active X dll in visual basic 6 , in one of my DLL functions i just want to wait for a com event to be raised so i can return a value of my principal function, i just dont know if there is any function like WaitForEvent to keep my fucntion waiting for the event. Hope someone can help me. Thanks

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by BitByBit_Thor at 2007-3-31 4:56:29[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi, im developing a active X dll in visual basic 6 , in one of my DLL functions i just want to wait for a com event to be raised so i can return a value of my principal function, i just dont know if there is any function like WaitForEvent to keep my fucntion waiting for the event. Hope someone can help me. Thanks
    :

There is a bit of a clumsy VB-native way:
    *choir starts to sing*
    DoEvents

What it does is 'halt execution' for a bit and return control back to Windows: all other apps get a chance to read and handle their message queue's.
    This includes the current app! Meaning that when this function is called for example when clicking a button, if the user has in the mean time clicked another button then this click will be handled first before execution is returned to your function. Meaning you're actually doing a sort of 'multi-threading'! This can cause problems if the calling program does not account for it (for example, setting Me.Enabled = False, will prvent this sort of thing from happening).

This is how it would look in your function.
    [code]
    Function ComFunction(SomethingHere) As SomeReturn
    'Wait for message
    Do
    'Make sure we don't take up 100% processing power
    ' in this loop. Effectively, it'll be around 20-50%.
    'And less when there is another program using the processor
    DoEvents
    Loop Until [italic]EventHasBeenRaised[/italic] [b]Or[/b] _
    [italic]TimeOutHasExpired[/italic]
    End Function
    [/code]
    [italic]TimeOutHasExpired[/italic] is quite important to have. You need to make sure you're not staying stuck in that loop forever.

All in all, this doesn't seem like a good way to do it in a DLL.

I have a question though: can a DLL receive events?

Best Regards,
    Richard

The way I see it... Well, it's all pretty blurry