convert exe in sourcecode

I'm looking for a program that converts an exe file, or a dll, in visual basic sourcecode. If not possible, does anyone know if it's possible to convert in other languages (c++, pascal, ...)

Thanks for the help

Comments

• : I'm looking for a program that converts an exe file, or a dll, in visual basic sourcecode. If not possible, does anyone know if it's possible to convert in other languages (c++, pascal, ...)
    :
    : Thanks for the help
    :

Basic conversions are usually done to Assembly (which is more of a switch of alfabets than a translation).

It's very hard to translate back to a language like C or VB. IF you're going to find any programs most likely you'll have to pay big $$$ for it.
    Best Regards,
    Richard

The way I see it... Well, it's all pretty blurry

• : : I'm looking for a program that converts an exe file, or a dll, in visual basic sourcecode. If not possible, does anyone know if it's possible to convert in other languages (c++, pascal, ...)
    : :
    Getting close to decent decompilation really requires knowledge the way the compiler works, so it's quite language specific (and in the case of C/C++/, quite compiler specific too).

: Basic conversions are usually done to Assembly (which is more of a
    : switch of alfabets than a translation).
    :
    Guess we could call it a transliteration. :-)

: It's very hard to translate back to a language like C or VB. IF you're
    : going to find any programs most likely you'll have to pay big $$$ for
    : it.
    I'm not sure out of C and VB which is harder. I suspect C because it's often heavily optimized. A Google for "visual basic decompiler" seems to turn up some interesting things...

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• : I'm not sure out of C and VB which is harder. I suspect C because it's often heavily optimized. A Google for "visual basic decompiler" seems to turn up some interesting things...
    :

And you just thought "Hey! Let's watch a video" ^o)

Best Regards,
    Richard

The way I see it... Well, it's all pretty blurry

• There used to be some pretty good VB decompilers way back in the VB3 days. At that time, VB created an "intermediate file which was exectued by a "runtime" engine. This intermediate file was fairly easy to convert back into VB source.

Now, however, with "true" compiling, the executable bears no resemblance to the source code, as is appropriate.

Your question actually holds some key to how difficult it would all be. you're asking if an exe file could be converted to VB source, or to C++, Pascal, etc. How would the decompiler know what the original source langauge was?

I suppose one could argue that it would be possible, and I guess it is. But at what cost in cime and effort to create the decompiler?

Big bucks, I'd guess!

: I'm looking for a program that converts an exe file, or a dll, in visual basic sourcecode. If not possible, does anyone know if it's possible to convert in other languages (c++, pascal, ...)
    :
    : Thanks for the help
    :

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• : There used to be some pretty good VB decompilers way back in the VB3 days. At that time, VB created an "intermediate file which was exectued by a "runtime" engine. This intermediate file was fairly easy to convert back into VB source.
    :
    : Now, however, with "true" compiling, the executable bears no resemblance to the source code, as is appropriate.
    :
    : Your question actually holds some key to how difficult it would all be. you're asking if an exe file could be converted to VB source, or to C++, Pascal, etc. How would the decompiler know what the original source langauge was?
    :
    : I suppose one could argue that it would be possible, and I guess it is. But at what cost in cime and effort to create the decompiler?
    :
    : Big bucks, I'd guess!
    :
    :
    :
    : : I'm looking for a program that converts an exe file, or a dll, in visual basic sourcecode. If not possible, does anyone know if it's possible to convert in other languages (c++, pascal, ...)
    : : Thanks for the help
    :
    :
    :
    : [purple]Melissa[/purple]

Agreed. The decompiler would have to look through for known code implementations for each lanuage and attempt to decompile using the known codes (for example, PASCAL always places a PUSH AX,BX,CX,etc at the start of every procedure and then POPs them at the end) I'm sure that all languages have their "giveaways", but honestly, if you need the code that bad, maybe you should learn assembly ;)

Phat Nat