Some DLL Questions

I know, this isn't the best place for it, but I want anyone that has some experience, so here goes. I'm looking into making a few .dlls to do some low-level stuff, I'm not exactly sure what all I want them to do, probably just some video initialization crap, like setup a vga screen or do some vesa stuff (I know, you think it's useless, but I like to do stuff this way!!!). Anywho, I started thinking, will Windoze let me do that, I know .dlls work regardless of language, but will they work regardless of platform (e.g. written for 16-bit real mode DOS and run in 32-bit protected mode Windows)? Any input here?

Comments

• : I know, this isn't the best place for it, but I want anyone that has some experience, so here goes. I'm looking into making a few .dlls to do some low-level stuff, I'm not exactly sure what all I want them to do, probably just some video initialization crap, like setup a vga screen or do some vesa stuff (I know, you think it's useless, but I like to do stuff this way!!!). Anywho, I started thinking, will Windoze let me do that, I know .dlls work regardless of language, but will they work regardless of platform (e.g. written for 16-bit real mode DOS and run in 32-bit protected mode Windows)? Any input here?
    :
    [blue]
    What do you mean by "low level stuff"? Im assuming low-level vga
    routines (ie; Mode 13h) in a dll. This should be possible in
    a 16-bit dll--Not 32-bit dlls.

What do you mean be "Dlls work reguardless of language"?
    Not all programming languages support it..

Dlls are not nativaley supported on any real mode system
    that I know of. (Primarily because of the 1MB limit),
    which is why OSs switch into protected mode.

btw, Putting all video code in a dll is a good idea.
    I recommend providing both dll and static library linkage
    to improve portability between languages and systems.
    (My engine is designed around this model.)

Hope this helps;

~mt2002[/blue]
  • : but will they work regardless of platform (e.g. written for 16-bit real mode DOS and run in 32-bit protected mode Windows)? Any input here?
    :

There is no such thing as a 16-bit dll.
  • : : but will they work regardless of platform (e.g. written for 16-bit real mode DOS and run in 32-bit protected mode Windows)? Any input here?
    : :
    :
    :
    : There is no such thing as a 16-bit dll.
    :
    [green]
    That`s incorrect. Win9x had lots of 16-bit dll-s, they were used to access some low-level privileges like direct disk access via DPMI. Win9x were mixed 16-/32-bit, whereas WinNT was fully 32-bit, that`s when 16-bit dll-s lost significance.

Here`s an example of a program that uses a 16-bit dll for win9x and native API calls for WinNT:
    http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

However, there are no such things as DOS dll-s. As MT2002 already mentioned, dll-s aren`t used on real mode software platforms.[/green]
  • : : : but will they work regardless of platform (e.g. written for 16-bit real mode DOS and run in 32-bit protected mode Windows)? Any input here?
    : : :
    : : There is no such thing as a 16-bit dll.
    : [green]
    : That`s incorrect. Win9x had lots of 16-bit dll-s, they were used to access some low-level privileges like direct disk access via DPMI. Win9x were mixed 16-/32-bit, whereas WinNT was fully 32-bit, that`s when 16-bit dll-s lost significance.
    :
    : Here`s an example of a program that uses a 16-bit dll for win9x and native API calls for WinNT:
    : http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs
    :
    : However, there are no such things as DOS dll-s. As MT2002 already mentioned, dll-s aren`t used on real mode software platforms.[/green]
    :
    Alright, I figured that dlls wouldn't work for DOS type functions wouldn't work that way. I am planning on doing my graphics in a .dll I was just seeing if I could maybe do some stuff with VESA and VGA just for kicks and grins. Thanks for the input guys!!!