Vis. Studio 05 Express??

I just purchased Programming Microsoft Visual Basic 2005: The Language by Francesco Balena from amazon

Will Visual Studio 05 Express be enough or should I be getting the Professional Edition?

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by DrMarten at 2006-11-21 19:12:18[/red][/b][hr]
    : I just purchased Programming Microsoft Visual Basic 2005: The Language by Francesco Balena from amazon
    :
    : Will Visual Studio 05 Express be enough or should I be getting the Professional Edition?
    :

Hi,

If you only want to stick to doing small "hobby" programs for yourself then use the express edition.

You can install both on the same PC without problems ( i have ).

[b][blue]You can even have VB6 ( or an earlier version), Express edition, 2003 Pro edition ( part of VS ), and the 2005 pro edition ( part of VS ) all installed at the same time as i've done it on this PC.

As each program version installs to a separate folder/directory. :-)

VS=Visual Studio by the way and the VB.Net part is only a part of it, like "Excel" is a part of the "OFFICE" suite of programs.
    [/blue][/b]
    I'd suggest you try the express edition first, if you like it and want to delve into it further or even get a job as a programmer / developer then get the professional edition.

If you get on really well with either version you could even do custom programs for local businesses etcetera as a freelance programmer.

As far as i'm aware the express edition has some of the NET functionality removed so that doing custom programs built around database-driven-web-sites or e-commerce "shop" web-sites may be difficult if not impossible without the use of other web-development packages.

Anyone on this forum, please correct me if i'm wrong on this, it is just what i've "heard".

Regards,

Dr M.
  • : Hi,
    :
    : If you only want to stick to doing small "hobby" programs for yourself then use the express edition.
    :
    : You can install both on the same PC without problems ( i have ).
    :
    : [b][blue]You can even have VB6 ( or an earlier version), Express edition, 2003 Pro edition ( part of VS ), and the 2005 pro edition ( part of VS ) all installed at the same time as i've done it on this PC.
    :
    : As each program version installs to a separate folder/directory. :-)
    :
    : VS=Visual Studio by the way and the VB.Net part is only a part of it, like "Excel" is a part of the "OFFICE" suite of programs.
    : [/blue][/b]
    : I'd suggest you try the express edition first, if you like it and want to delve into it further or even get a job as a programmer / developer then get the professional edition.
    :
    : If you get on really well with either version you could even do custom programs for local businesses etcetera as a freelance programmer.
    :
    : As far as i'm aware the express edition has some of the NET functionality removed so that doing custom programs built around database-driven-web-sites or e-commerce "shop" web-sites may be difficult if not impossible without the use of other web-development packages.
    :
    : Anyone on this forum, please correct me if i'm wrong on this, it is just what i've "heard".
    :
    :
    : Regards,
    :
    : Dr M.

The thing is is that I have Visual Studio 2003 professional but i just purchased a book that deals with VB 2005..... I am not sure as to whether the info i learn from this book (2005) will be relevant when programming in VB 2003.... i do not have access to 2005 professional.... so could i use what i learn in the book for 2005 in Vis. Stud. 2003??
  • [b][red]This message was edited by DrMarten at 2006-11-21 20:3:10[/red][/b][hr]
    : The thing is is that I have Visual Studio 2003 professional but i just purchased a book that deals with VB 2005..... I am not sure as to whether the info i learn from this book (2005) will be relevant when programming in VB 2003.... i do not have access to 2005 professional.... so could i use what i learn in the book for 2005 in Vis. Stud. 2003??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Yes the code you produce in 2003 can be loaded into 2005.

[b][red]WARNING!!

The project/solution code files will be updated if you do.

However the code syntax for all the standard objects remains the same. :-)

IF YOU TRY TO LOAD A 2005 PROJECT INTO 2003 YOU CAN'T.

So if you get 2005 then keep a backup copy of your older project folders....if you want to.
    [/red][/b]

So code like:
    [code]
    textbox1.text="Hello!"
    [/code]
    Remains the same.

Hope that helps?

Regards,

Dr M.

P.S. Things that i know have been updated in 2005.

Probably a few "bug" fxes and it now uses a later version of the .Net framework.

You need to have the FRAMEWORK installed on another computer to run your code on that particular computer. ;-)

FRAMEWORK 1.1. >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

2.0 >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

msdn library online>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/

• [b][red]This message was edited by jbassmanp at 2006-11-21 20:15:21[/red][/b][hr]
    :
    : The thing is is that I have Visual Studio 2003 professional but i just purchased a book that deals with VB 2005..... I am not sure as to whether the info i learn from this book (2005) will be relevant when programming in VB 2003.... i do not have access to 2005 professional.... so could i use what i learn in the book for 2005 in Vis. Stud. 2003??
    :
    There are some significant improvements in '05' over '03' I had developed what I thought were finished apps in '03' to find that it was so much easier to redo the program in '05'. I converted most of the coding over usually with little or no problems. One of the biggest advantage '05' is connectivity to your databases and grid and form work, editing the properities etc are all a piece of cake comparatively. I also found the amount of code needed to produce the same features in '03' was reduced tremendously. So what I am trying to say is what you learn in '03' will help you truly with '05' but some of what the book may offer you will not work in '03', You will have to work much more code in some functions or areas of your '03' work to produce the what the book present to you for an '05' app. That said I loved '03' and didn't thing I was going to upgrade but the '05' beta testing led me away, no way will I go back.... Good luck and hope this helped you

• thanks everyone.... i have a degree in comp. sci. .... bs in applied data processing.... i am slowly starting to learn they taught me absolutely nothing at my university and i was better off going to a technical 2 year university and studying on my own.... why in hell do they teach us assembly language and jcl but not .net or XHTML???? i guess i shouldnt be bitter as i have a good foundation.... but i still am bitter since i was reading memory dumps for a semester when i could have learned .net in two months.... this is a joke.... whatever.... at least i learned c++ OO and java.... still my future is in .NET and i have to teach myself from scratch.... thanks for all the help guys.... really it is appreciated more than you will ever know