VB .NET newbie.... please help

I have about 2 months to learn .NET (VB, C# and ASP) so they can begin getting marketed.

my questions....
1)Where do I start? More spec. which should I learn first VB.NET or C#.NET?
2)I have a very basic understanding of .NET and know that no language is more beneficial than others but I was thinking about starting with VB as I have at least simple knowledge of the original VB.
3)Can someone briefly tell me how ASP.NET interacts with VB and C# to create web services???? I dont even know what ASP is....

Oh and someone who has been in the .NET field for some time gave me 4 Microsoft eLearning Books on cd that are used to get Microsoft certified....
1)MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing XML Web Services and Server Components with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# .NET
2)MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Windows-Based Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# .NET, Second Ed
3)MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Analyzing Requirements and Defining Microsoft .NET Solution Architectures, Exam 70-300
4)MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Web Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# .NET, Second Edition

i was going to learn book #2 first then #4 then #1 and finally #3

Should I start off with any of these books as my starting point to VB???? or are there better books anyone knows of to go with????
thanks in advance....

Comments

• no one respond to this as i have found the eLearning library to be good only for brushing up for the mic certificatin exams....
  • [b][red]This message was edited by DrMarten at 2006-11-21 19:44:33[/red][/b][hr]

Hi,

I have a book that at first glance seems excellent to show you what ASP etc is all about.

ASP = Active Server Page.
    [blue][b]
    The book goes into VbScript, ASP, ADO and XML and all the code samples in the book are on the included cd.

"Step-by-step Web Database Develpopment" by Jim Buyens
    ISBN number 0-7356-0966-7

I got a complete copy through the www.amazon.co.uk site for about 6 , the cover prce is US$49.99 or 32.99 or CANadian $76.99
    [/blue][/b]

The first chapter covers a simple ASP page which is a web-page with some scripting language code in the page such as VbScript.

The script code will run queries etc on a SQL or ACCESS database and generate the web-site automatically on what is known as an
    IIS "Internet Information Service" executable folder which would be on a server PC ( usually connected to the internet, but not always as the server may be on a private network ).

All the end user "sees" is the generated web page and not the script code behind it, clever eh?

See this page. >>
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Web-Database-Development-Fundamentals-Buyens/dp/0735609667/sr=11-1/qid=1164162695/ref=sr_11_1/202-6648588-0378249

The book has ratings between 4/5 and 5/5.
    If you want to see details of the back cover i can add a link to a picture of it on here, just ask.

Regards,

Dr M.

P.S. If you know some VB already start with VB.Net and you can always add C#.Net to your learning.

In fact you can use a VB.Net module code in a C#.Net program and vice-versa. The whole Visual Studio .Net package is flexible in that you can use code from other programming languages from .Net in your development.