"what is data type conversion between VB and VC++"

Hi everyone,
I created a project in VC++ (Class Library project in visual studio 2005) and I would like to use it in VB .
I defined 2 functions in classlibrary that one of them uses simple data type such as int,bool,.. in input and return value and other one uses data type such as char * .
When I use simple data type ,there is not any problem and I can call the function in vb successfully but when I use another data type such as (char * ,..)I can not call it and even I can not see the function in vb.
My question is about data type conversion between VC++ and VB.
My code is same as below :
//==============================
MyClassLibrary.h
#pragma once
using namespace System;
namespace MyClassLibrary{
public ref class InitCard
{
public :
bool VerifyPin(char *) ; //I can not see this function in VB
bool SetCardAccessKey(int); //I can see and use this function in VB successfully .
};
}
//======================My VB code is same as below :
Imports MyClassLibrary
Dim Jvm_offcard As New MyClassLibrary.InitCard
Jvm_offcard.SetCardAccessKey(2);
//Jvm_offcard.VerifyPin("1234") //there is an error on this line

I would like to know how can I use data type such as (char *,byte array ,string) between VC++ and VB code.
I would appreciate for any help .
Yours sincerely,
Orchid

Comments

• : Hi everyone,
    : I created a project in VC++ (Class Library project in visual studio 2005) and I would like to use it in VB .
    : I defined 2 functions in classlibrary that one of them uses simple data type such as int,bool,.. in input and return value and other one uses data type such as char * .
    : When I use simple data type ,there is not any problem and I can call the function in vb successfully but when I use another data type such as (char * ,..)I can not call it and even I can not see the function in vb.
    : My question is about data type conversion between VC++ and VB.
    : My code is same as below :
    : //==============================
    : MyClassLibrary.h
    : #pragma once
    : using namespace System;
    : namespace MyClassLibrary{
    : public ref class InitCard
    : {
    : public :
    : bool VerifyPin(char *) ; //I can not see this function in VB
    : bool SetCardAccessKey(int); //I can see and use this function in VB successfully .
    : };
    : }
    : //======================My VB code is same as below :
    : Imports MyClassLibrary
    : Dim Jvm_offcard As New MyClassLibrary.InitCard
    : Jvm_offcard.SetCardAccessKey(2);
    : //Jvm_offcard.VerifyPin("1234") //there is an error on this line
    :
    : I would like to know how can I use data type such as (char *,byte array ,string) between VC++ and VB code.
    : I would appreciate for any help .
    : Yours sincerely,
    : Orchid
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I don't know C++ but if you can use a VARIANT data type in the C++ and the VB then that may solve your problem.

VARIANT is an object that can vary it's datatype i believe, and i think this happens automatically in the background.

What is the * for after the Char as in (Char *) ?

Why not do the PIN as an Integer or LongInteger.

In Vb i believe it is>>

UInt32 'unsigned or
    Int32 'for a signed Integer

E.G.

Dim myInt1 As Uint32
    Dim myInt2 As Int32 'or
    Dim myInt3 As Long

Regards,

Dr M.

• Hey,

I'm affraid your problem is not with the datatypes. If I am correct you'll need to do something with 'exporting' your class through COM. There are special ways of defining the interfaces for a COM object.
    If you are using VB6 an VC6++ (which you probably are) you'll need to handle it this way, since that's the way VB handles classes.
    One could probably write a book full on COM and I am certainly no expert on it.

Good luck
    Best Regards,
    Richard