enumerate currently running applications in Linux

hi everybody,

can anybody tell me how to enumerate currently running applications in Linux programaticaly using C or Java.

please help me ...............

reply soon.

Comments

• to get the number of processes running on a linux system you can parse the loadavg file in /proc. the format is as follows:

load1 load2 load3 n_run/n_proc n_pid

where load1, load2 and load3 are the load averages for the last 1, 5 and 15 minutes (these are the same values returned by uptime). the next field, n_run, is the number of kernel entities (processes/threads) currently running (this is always less than or equal to the number of cpu's in the machine, as only one process be executed at any per processor), n_proc is the total number of kernel entities on the machine, and n_pid is the process id of the most recently created process on the machine.

to read this info open the file (/proc/loadavg) and read it into a buffer, then parse it with sscanf.

you can use something like "%f %f %f %d/%d %lu" as the format field of sscanf.

------
    nugent

• [b][red]This message was edited by hiimsa at 2006-11-1 6:29:16[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by hiimsa at 2006-11-1 6:28:45[/red][/b][hr]
    :
    : to get the number of processes running on a linux system you can parse the loadavg file in /proc. the format is as follows:
    :
    : load1 load2 load3 n_run/n_proc n_pid
    :
    : where load1, load2 and load3 are the load averages for the last 1, 5 and 15 minutes (these are the same values returned by uptime). the next field, n_run, is the number of kernel entities (processes/threads) currently running (this is always less than or equal to the number of cpu's in the machine, as only one process be executed at any per processor), n_proc is the total number of kernel entities on the machine, and n_pid is the process id of the most recently created process on the machine.
    :
    : to read this info open the file (/proc/loadavg) and read it into a buffer, then parse it with sscanf.
    :
    : you can use something like "%f %f %f %d/%d %lu" as the format field of sscanf.
    :
    :
    : ------
    : nugent
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Thanks nuget,
    but i want the names of all currently running user applications in my program.

please help me ...

• If you look in /proc there will be many directories whose names are numbers, each one of these represents a process. In each of these directories you can find information about the process:

cmdline: holds the complete command line for the process
    cwd: a symbolic link to the current working directory of the process
    environ: the environment of the process
    exe: a symbolic link containing the path of executed command
    fd: a directory containing 1 entry for each file the process has open
    maps: mapped memory regions and access permissions
    mem: used to access the page's of the process's memory
    root: symbolic link to the process's root directory
    smaps: memory consumption for each of the process's mappings (since 2.6.14)
    stat: status information (used by ps)
    statm: information about memory status in pages
    task: contains a directory for each thread in the process (since 2.6.0-test6)

------
    nugent